- Bob Przybylo, Reporter, RecruitingNation
Bob Przybylo breaks down the most recent OU offers for the class of 2013:
• In Oklahoma’s two junior days, the Sooners hosted several wide receivers from the state of Texas. OU only offered one in Jacorey Warrick (Houston/Cypress Falls). Warrick eventually committed to the Longhorns.
As junior day recruits such as Quan Jones (Wylie, Texas/East) and Eldridge Massington (Mesquite, Texas/West) continue to pile up top offer after top offer, the Sooners still have not extended their offer.
It doesn’t mean the Sooners are done looking at receivers. However, for the time being, OU is still trying to look outside of its backyard for the answer.
Mitchell is 5-foot-10 and 180 pounds and is an ESPNU Watch List member. He has offers from Notre Dame, Texas A&M and Tennessee, among others.
Treadwell, 6-foot-2 and 190 pounds, is also on the ESPNU Watch List. He has offers from all over the Midwest and other top schools like Arkansas and Alabama. One interesting to note about Treadwell is that his high school coaches will not allow de-commitments. That means Treadwell is being extra cautious and also means OU can try to make up for lost time.
• Offensive tackle remains a point of emphasis for OU’s class. So far the Sooners haven’t had much luck, and OU is trying to take a stab at another elite national prospect.
The Sooners recently offered Laremy Tunsil (Lake City, Fla./Columbia). It is easier to list the schools he doesn’t have offers from at this point. Tunsil is 6-foot-6 and 280 pounds and some think he will be a five-star recruit when the initial ESPNU 150 is released.
• OU offered a couple of prospects on defense. One was not a shock at all in defensive tackle Justin Manning (Dallas/Kimball). The younger brother of former OU defensive tackle DeMarcus Granger, Manning was offered by OU at junior day. Manning was the sole offer by OU during the event.
The Sooners were back on the trail Wednesday with an offer to linebacker Matthew Thomas (Miami/Washington). Thomas is 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds and was the first recruit invited to The Opening, the all-star Nike camp in July in Oregon. OU has also offered another Opening invitee in defensive end Torrodney Prevot (Houston/Alief Taylor).
• This week saw four OU targets leave the board. It started over the weekend when defensive end Garrett Sickels (Little Silver, N.J./Red Bank Regional) committed to Penn State.
And then the early part of the week saw a couple more pledge elsewhere. Offensive lineman Darius James (Harker Heights, Texas/Harker Heights) committed to Texas. James initially said he would attend OU’s junior day but chose to not attend.
Linebacker Mike McCray (Trotwood, Ohio/Trotwood-Madison) chose Michigan over Illinois and Tennessee. The Sooners had reached his top six but didn’t make the final three.
OU took one more hit Thursday when athlete LaQuvionte Gonzalez (Cedar Hill, Texas/Cedar Hill) chose Texas A&M.
Gonzalez was invited to OU’s junior day but made it clear last week he had no intention of trying to attend. He had mentioned the Aggies repeatedly as one of his favorites, and now we know why.
Could have been a running back or receiver. OU getting the commitment of Keith Ford (Cypress, Texas/Ranch) might have hurt any chance of Gonzalez coming to Norman.
All four commits are on the ESPNU Watch List.
Bob Przybylo breaks down the most recent OU offers for the class of 2013:• In Oklahoma’s two junior days, the Sooners hosted several wide receivers from the state of Texas.