Big 12 lunchtime links
December, 20, 2013
By Jake Trotter | ESPN.com
The New Yorker on the best movies of the year:
- The Austin American-Statesman's Danny Davis reported that former Texas Tech QB Baker Mayfield is planning to enroll at Oklahoma, and walk on in January. According to The Oklahoman's Jason Kersey, that was news to OU coach Bob Stoops, who said the Sooners weren't pursuing any transfer QBs. This story keeps getting stranger and stranger.
- The Texas players described to the Dallas Morning News' Chuck Carlton the scene as Mack Brown told them of his resignation. The Austin American-Statesman compiled some updates on the Texas coaching search. Former Texas safety and current Seattle Seahawk Earl Thomas has one name he doesn't want to appear in the Texas search.
- Baylor coach Art Briles was asked what he would do if the Longhorns came calling. Briles' response? "The grass is green here" at Baylor.
- Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said he's had no contact with Texas about the Longhorns' job, and more interestingly, said he has changed agents.
- The Charleston Daily Mail's Mike Casazza says there's no denying attrition was a problem for West Virginia this season. The Charleston Gazette's Dave Hickman examines what West Virginia will do next at quarterback. The paper chronicles the odyssey of defensive end recruit Terry Ayeni, who is considering the Mountaineers.
- Kansas coach Charlie Weis said firing himself as offensive coordinator was best for the Jayhawks, according to the Topeka Capital-Journal's Jesse Newell.
- TCU lost a recruit back to Arkansas.
- The Longhorns made the cut to stay in the mix for blue-chip linebacker Solomon Thomas.
- Oklahoma linebacker Corey Nelson is down to his final recourse in his effort to get a fifth season of eligibility from the NCAA.
- Iowa State is looking for instant help from its four junior college signings, writes the Ames Tribune's Bobby La Gesse. The Des Moines Register's Chris Williams wonders who will replace Kirby Van Der Kamp at punter.
- Coach Bill Snyder calls Kansas State wideout Curry Sexton "Google." The Garden City Telegram's Arne Green has the story.
- Sophomore offensive lineman Tony Morales could return to practice next week after missing the regular season with a torn shoulder labrum, the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal's Don Williams reports.
Week 1: Take Your Pick
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
7:14 2nd Qtr Louisiana Tech 0 4 Oklahoma 24 3:23 2nd Qtr Samford 7 TCU 24 7:16 2nd Qtr Central Arkansas 16 Texas Tech 13 5:50 2nd Qtr Stephen F. Austin 7 20 Kansas State 21 10:30 1st Qtr 1 Florida State 0 Oklahoma State 0 7:44 1st Qtr North Texas 0 Texas 0 Final North Dakota State 34 Iowa State 14 Final West Virginia 23 2 Alabama 33