Big 12 lunchtime links
December, 20, 2013
By Jake Trotter | ESPN.com
The New Yorker on the best movies of the year:
- The Austin American-Statesman's Danny Davis reported that former Texas Tech QB Baker Mayfield is planning to enroll at Oklahoma, and walk on in January. According to The Oklahoman's Jason Kersey, that was news to OU coach Bob Stoops, who said the Sooners weren't pursuing any transfer QBs. This story keeps getting stranger and stranger.
- The Texas players described to the Dallas Morning News' Chuck Carlton the scene as Mack Brown told them of his resignation. The Austin American-Statesman compiled some updates on the Texas coaching search. Former Texas safety and current Seattle Seahawk Earl Thomas has one name he doesn't want to appear in the Texas search.
- Baylor coach Art Briles was asked what he would do if the Longhorns came calling. Briles' response? "The grass is green here" at Baylor.
- Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said he's had no contact with Texas about the Longhorns' job, and more interestingly, said he has changed agents.
- The Charleston Daily Mail's Mike Casazza says there's no denying attrition was a problem for West Virginia this season. The Charleston Gazette's Dave Hickman examines what West Virginia will do next at quarterback. The paper chronicles the odyssey of defensive end recruit Terry Ayeni, who is considering the Mountaineers.
- Kansas coach Charlie Weis said firing himself as offensive coordinator was best for the Jayhawks, according to the Topeka Capital-Journal's Jesse Newell.
- TCU lost a recruit back to Arkansas.
- The Longhorns made the cut to stay in the mix for blue-chip linebacker Solomon Thomas.
- Oklahoma linebacker Corey Nelson is down to his final recourse in his effort to get a fifth season of eligibility from the NCAA.
- Iowa State is looking for instant help from its four junior college signings, writes the Ames Tribune's Bobby La Gesse. The Des Moines Register's Chris Williams wonders who will replace Kirby Van Der Kamp at punter.
- Coach Bill Snyder calls Kansas State wideout Curry Sexton "Google." The Garden City Telegram's Arne Green has the story.
- Sophomore offensive lineman Tony Morales could return to practice next week after missing the regular season with a torn shoulder labrum, the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal's Don Williams reports.
Top Returning Players: Big 12
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35