Big 12 Week 15: Did you know?
December, 6, 2013
By Brandon Chatmon | ESPN.com
It's the final regular season edition of stats and tidbits courtesy of ESPN Stats and Information and various SIDs around the conference. Did you know …
- Oklahoma State quarterback Clint Chelf has sparked the Cowboys offense. In Chelf’s last five starts, the Cowboys have averaged 47.8 points per game and have outscored opponents by 28.4 points per game.
- Chelf completed 9-of-13 passes thrown 15 yards or longer against Baylor. His nine completions and 278 yards on such passes were the most by a Big 12 player this season.
- Chelf has had an FBS-high 94.4 opponent-adjusted QBR since Nov. 1. During that time, Oklahoma State defeated three opponents ranked in the top 25 of the BCS standings and Chelf has been responsible for 15 touchdowns and 305.8 total yards per game.
- Oklahoma State has scored a touchdown on 92 percent of its red-zone drives in the last five games, third best in the FBS since the start of Week 9. From Weeks 1-8, the Cowboys scored a touchdown on 64.5 percent of their red-zone opportunities, 51st among FBS teams.
- Oklahoma State has nine interceptions on passes thrown 15 yards or longer, tied with Kansas State for most in the Big 12.
- On Saturday, Oklahoma State is looking to win its 51st game in five years.
- OSU can finish undefeated at home for just the 12th time in school history and improve to 18-1 in its last 19 games at Boone Pickens Stadium.
- OSU has scored 20 or more points in 50 straight games, a streak that started at the beginning of the 2010 season. It’s the longest active streak in the country.
- OSU has won or tied the turnover battle in 19 of its last 22 games and has forced at least one turnover in its last 19 contests.
- OSU’s undefeated November was its first since 1945 when the Cowboys went 9-0 and won the Sugar Bowl.
- OSU outscored opponents 181-70 in November, earning wins over three ranked teams in the process (Texas Tech, Texas, Baylor).
- Oklahoma has a Big 12-low 60 missed tackles this season, 11 fewer than any other Big 12 team.
- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops is 7-1 in head-to-head meetings with Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy.
- OU is looking to score 40 points for three straight games for the first time this season. The Sooners averaging 31.7 points per game after averaging 38.2 points per game in 2012.
- OU’s defense has allowed 10 points and 33 rushing yards in its last two games combined (wins over Iowa State and Kansas State).
- OU is 4-0 when senior running back Brennan Clay rushes for 100 yards or more.
- With a win the Sooners would join Alabama, Oregon and Stanford as teams from BCS conferences with four straight seasons with at least 10 wins.
- OU is 11-3 in December under Stoops.
- The Sooners are 12-8 on the road against ranked opponents under Stoops.
- OU is 38-7-5 all-time against OSU in Stillwater.
- OU and OSU are the Big 12’s winningest teams in conference play since 2008. OU is 38-12 while OSU is 37-13.
- The Texas-Baylor series dates back to 1901 and Saturday’s meeting will be the 103rd battle between the two teams.
- Texas coach Mack Brown is 13-2 against Baylor.
- UT has allowed 3.4 yards per carry in its last eight games after allowing seven yards per carry to BYU and Ole Miss earlier this season.
- UT has 14 seasons of eight or more wins during 15 seasons under Brown. The Longhorns had six seasons of eight or more wins in the previous 15 years.
- UT has scored 30 or more points in seven of its last eight games.
- This year’s UT-BU matchup is the first time both teams are ranked since 1990.
- UT has held Baylor to 14 points or fewer in 9 of 15 meetings under Brown.
- Baylor has 26 touchdowns on drives that lasted 1 minute or less, six more than any other team. However, the Bears only have one such touchdown in their past two games.
- Even with its recent struggles, Baylor’s offense leads the nation in total offense (635.1 yards per game), scoring (55.4 points per game) and passing yards per completion (17.81).
- Baylor will wear Nike retro uniforms to honor the first team to play in Floyd Casey Stadium against Texas. It is the final game at Floyd Casey, where the Bears are 190-146-5 all-time.
- Baylor leads the FBS in plays (53) and touchdowns (28) of 30 yards or longer.
- BU running back Lache Seastrunk has made it at least 5 yards past the line of scrimmage before first contact on 36 percent of his rushes, the highest percentage among AQ running backs with at least 75 carries.
- Bryce Petty has 25 completions on passes thrown 25 yards or longer, five more than any other AQ quarterback. He also leads all AQ quarterbacks with 13 touchdowns on such passes.
- In conference play, Texas’ opponents have had a 35.9 Total QBR, tied for second best in the Big 12. In nonconference games, Texas’ opponents have had a 78.0 Total QBR, worst in the Big 12.
- BU is looking to close Floyd Casey with a 10th straight win at home, a school record.
- BU is 14-2 in November and December since 2011.
- The Bears are looking to win their third game in four seasons against UT for the first time since 1988-91.
- Baylor’s starting defense has allowed 26 touchdowns in 11 games.
- Baylor is fifth in the FBS and second in the Big 12 with 8.1 tackles for loss per game.
- BU has converted 79 of 165 third down conversion attempts (47.9 percent), ranking No. 16 nationally and No. 1 in the Big 12.
- Petty set a program record with 229 pass attempts without an interception until throwing one against TCU. Robert Griffin III was the previous record holder with 209.
- Petty needs one game of 200 passing yards or more to break Griffin’s single season record of 12 set in 2011.
- BU receiver Antawn Goodley needs one more touchdown catch to move into sole possession of second place on the single season list. He’ll tie Kendall Wright’s 14 with two more touchdown catches.
- AP Top 25 teams are 0-5 at Floyd Casey Stadium during the past three seasons.
- Baylor has the longest home win streak in the conference, having won nine straight in Waco.
Spring Game Wrap-Up
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
TBD North Dakota State Iowa State TBD Louisiana Tech Oklahoma TBD North Texas Texas TBD Stephen F. Austin Kansas State TBD Samford TCU TBD Central Arkansas Texas Tech 3:30 PM ET West Virginia Alabama 8:00 PM ET Florida State Oklahoma State