Big 12 Week 14: Did you know?
November, 29, 2013
By Max Olson | ESPN.com
Here’s another edition of interesting stats and tidbits thanks to SID departments around the Big 12 and the folks at ESPN Stats & Info. Did you know …
- Texas Tech’s offense ran 80 plays against Texas and still leads the nation in plays per game at 88.4.
- Texas Tech has gained 10-plus yards on 247 plays this season and surpassed Florida State for No. 1 in FBS in that stat thanks to 16 such plays against Texas.
- Red Raiders quarterback Baker Mayfield ranks No. 6 in FBS in both completions per game and pass attempts per game.
- Texas recorded a season-high nine sacks against Texas Tech on Thursday, the most Tech has allowed in a game in at least 13 years.
- Texas kicker Anthony Fera is 19-for-20 (95 percent) on field goals. He has connected on his last 15 attempts, tying a school record.
- Longhorns WR Jaxon Shipley is now 5-for-8 passing for 116 yards and three touchdowns in his career. He completed a 43-yard pass on Thursday.
- Oklahoma QB Trevor Knight has rushed for 391 yards this season. Landry Jones finished with -361 rushing yards in his career.
- No Big 12 defense has been on the field this season less than the Sooners. Their opponents average 64.6 plays per game.
- Oklahoma State is No. 2 in the nation in turnover margin at plus 16 this season. Since the start of the 2010 season, the Cowboys are plus 49, which ranks No. 2 in FBS behind only Oregon (plus 52).
- Clint Chelf ranks No. 7 in the country in adjusted QBR at 84.8, ahead of Braxton Miller and AJ McCarron.
- Oklahoma State and Baylor both lead the conference in defensive touchdowns (four) and special teams touchdowns (three).
- Baylor has gained 20 or more yards on 93 plays this season, 25 more than any other Big 12 offense.
- Bryce Petty has scored touchdowns on 18 percent of his rushes this season. That’s the best scoring rate among rushers in FBS.
- Baylor needs just 22 points to break its school record for scoring in a season, and four touchdowns to break the BU single-season TD record.
- TCU holds a slim lead in its all-time series against Baylor, 51-50-7, but Gary Patterson is 4-1 against the Bears in his career. The Frogs have won eight straight games following bye weeks.
- The Horned Frogs have scored 263 points this season and given up 262 points.
- TCU has sold out 16 of its last 20 home games at Amon G. Carter Stadium.
- Casey Pachall is one touchdown pass away from surpassing Sammy Baugh in the TCU record book for career TD passes. He has 40.
- Pachall is already No. 3 in school history with 5,148 passing yards and first in completion percentage at 64.2.
- With a temperature of 8 degrees at kickoff, Iowa State’s home game against Kansas last week is considered the coldest game in school history.
- Five of Iowa State’s nine losses this season have come by eight points or less.
- Iowa State has scored on 29 of 31 opportunities in the red zone this season, a rate that leads the Big 12.
- Not one offensive lineman has started all 11 games this season for ISU, and 10 different linemen have earned at least one start.
- Charles Sims is 54 rushing yards away from surpassing 1,000 this season. He’d be West Virginia’s first 1,000-yard rusher since Noel Devine in 2009.
- In the month of November, WVU receiver Mario Alford leads in the Big 12 in yards per catch at 23.5 on 10 receptions.
- West Virginia’s offense has recorded 16 fourth-down plays this season for a total of -3 yards.
- Kansas State QB Jake Waters ranks No. 3 in FBS in yards per completion at 15.92 yards and No. 6 in yards per attempt at 9.61.
- K-State is the least penalized team in the Big 12 at 4.73 penalties per game for an average of 40.1 yards.
- Tyler Lockett’s 440 all-purpose yards against Oklahoma ranked fifth-most in FBS history and second-most in Big 12 history.
- The Wildcats are only the fourth team in Big 12 history to start 2-4 and go on to achieve bowl eligibility.
- James Sims is the first player in Kansas history to rush for 1,000 yards in back-to-back seasons. He’s only the third back in school history to record multiple 1,000-yard seasons.
- Sims is one of only 13 running backs in FBS to surpass 1,000 yards in both 2012 and 2013.
- Kansas has gone three-and-out on 32 percent of its offensive possessions this season, a rate that ranks fourth-worst in FBS. On nearly 47 percent of its drives, KU has neither picked up a first down nor scored.
- KU is 5-for-25 on fourth-down conversions this season. Only Louisville (0-for-4) has a worse conversion rate.
Stoops, Players Want To Effect Change
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
TBD Oklahoma State Central Michigan TBD Northern Iowa Iowa State TBD South Dakota State Kansas TBD South Dakota Kansas State TBD Texas Notre Dame TBD Akron Oklahoma TBD Sam Houston State Texas Tech TBD Georgia Southern West Virginia