Big 12 Week 10: Did you know?
November, 1, 2013
By Max Olson | ESPN.com
For your post-Halloween consumption, more bite-sized pieces of football knowledge courtesy of ESPN Stats and Info and a sports information department near you. Did you know ...
- Oklahoma State vs. Texas Tech is the first of eight matchups between the Big 12's current top-five teams to finish this season, and the only one this weekend.
- Oklahoma State is going for its fifth straight win against Texas Tech this weekend and three straight in Lubbock. Neither school has ever won five straight in this series all-time. In 2011, OSU handed Texas Tech its worst home loss in school history (66-6).
- Including Mike Gundy and Kliff Kingsbury, there are only 12 head coaches in FBS who coach at their alma mater.
- Only two Big 12 schools -- OSU and Baylor -- rank in the top 25 nationally in both scoring offense and scoring defense this season.
- Since 2011, Texas Tech is 1-7 in the month of November and 0-8 against the four teams left on its schedule: Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Baylor and Texas.
- On the bright side: The Red Raiders are 8-0 all-time in the week following a loss to Oklahoma. Last year, they responded by stunning No. 4 West Virginia, 49-14.
- Freshman quarterback Davis Webb has started the Red Raiders' last three games. No FBS quarterback has put up more passing yards in that span than Webb's 1,262 yards.
- No team in the country has settled for more field goals in the red zone (16) than Texas Tech. Oklahoma ranks second in FBS in that stat with 14.
- Opposing offenses are 3-for-18 on fourth downs against the Baylor defense this season. No other FBS defense that has faced at least 15 fourth-down attempts has given up fewer than four conversions.
- The Bears need four more rushing touchdowns this season to break their single-season school record of 37 set in 2011.
- The opposing defenses get tougher in the next month, but Baylor is currently on pace to shatter its school record for total offense in a season by more than 1,700 yards.
- The NCAA record for total offense in a season is 8,387 yards (Houston, 2011) and 624.9 per game (Houston, 1989). Baylor is averaging 718.4 per game and on pace for 9,339.
- Oklahoma is now 60-1 under Bob Stoops with 32 straight wins when rushing for 200 or more yards.
- Lacoltan Bester now has a passing, rushing and receiving touchdown for Oklahoma this season.
- The Sooners are outscoring opponents 129-64 in the first half this season, including 96-19 in the second quarter.
- Iowa State has a 48-43-4 lead in its all-time series against Kansas State but has not won in Manhattan since 2004.
- Only one player -- redshirt freshman Daniel Burton -- has started all seven games on the Iowa State offensive line this season. That unit has already started seven different lineups in 2013.
- In the past two seasons, ISU quarterback Sam B. Richardson has gained 5-plus yards on 50.9 percent of his rushing attempts. He's best in the Big 12 in that stat, with Lache Seastrunk second at 50.7.
- Iowa State has the No. 6 ranked red zone offense in the nation with a 95.2 percent success rate. Its 21 drives that reached the red zone have resulted in 16 touchdowns and four field goals.
- Kansas State has held fourth-quarter leads in three of its four losses this season, but also had a combined eight turnovers in those three games.
- Under Bill Snyder, Kansas State has won 73.4 percent of its games in November (47-17) and has gone undefeated in this month six times.
- K-State is currently tied for the national lead in blocked kicks with four this season. Three have come from defensive lineman Travis Britz, on a field goal and two extra-point attempts.
- Even when excluding sacks, K-State QB Jake Waters has the worst fumbling rate in the nation. He's put the ball on the ground on 11.5 percent of his rushes.
- Against Texas' defense, Oklahoma and TCU combined to convert on 20.7 percent of their third downs with a third-down QBR of 0.5 out of 100.
- Running back Johnathan Gray has rushed for 89 or more yards in each of Texas' last six games. He achieved that just twice last season as a true freshman.
- In their meetings as Big 12 opponents, Texas' offense is averaging 43.6 points and 537.8 yards per game against Kansas.
- The Jayhawks still have not allowed an opposing offense to score on its opening drive through seven games this season.
- KU running back James Sims is four yards away from taking over the No. 3 spot on the school's all-time rushing list.
- In his last game at Texas, as BYU's starting quarterback in 2011, Jake Heaps threw for 192 yards on 22 of 38 passing in a 17-16 loss.
- West Virginia running back Charles Sims is No. 2 in the Big 12 in rushes of 10-plus yards with 21 this season, just seven behind Seastrunk.
- WVU's defense currently ranks last in the Big 12 when it comes to allowing yards per play (6.19) and yards per passing attempt (8.6).
- Since 2001, the Mountaineers have won more games wearing a blue jersey-blue pants uniform (26) but has a better winning percentage when wearing gold pants with those blue jerseys (81.4 percent).
- Under coach Gary Patterson, TCU is 27-9 in regular-season games following losses. Patterson has never lost three straight games.
- TCU has a chance to be the first team to lead the Big 12 in both interceptions and sacks in a season since Nebraska did in 1996.
- A total of 67.7 percent of the Frogs' total yards from scrimmage this season have come from underclassmen.
Spring Game Wrap-Up
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
TBD North Dakota State Iowa State TBD Louisiana Tech Oklahoma TBD North Texas Texas TBD Stephen F. Austin Kansas State TBD Samford TCU TBD Central Arkansas Texas Tech 3:30 PM ET West Virginia Alabama 8:00 PM ET Florida State Oklahoma State