Big 12 Week 10: Did you know?
November, 1, 2013
By Max Olson | ESPN.com
For your post-Halloween consumption, more bite-sized pieces of football knowledge courtesy of ESPN Stats and Info and a sports information department near you. Did you know ...
- Oklahoma State vs. Texas Tech is the first of eight matchups between the Big 12's current top-five teams to finish this season, and the only one this weekend.
- Oklahoma State is going for its fifth straight win against Texas Tech this weekend and three straight in Lubbock. Neither school has ever won five straight in this series all-time. In 2011, OSU handed Texas Tech its worst home loss in school history (66-6).
- Including Mike Gundy and Kliff Kingsbury, there are only 12 head coaches in FBS who coach at their alma mater.
- Only two Big 12 schools -- OSU and Baylor -- rank in the top 25 nationally in both scoring offense and scoring defense this season.
- Since 2011, Texas Tech is 1-7 in the month of November and 0-8 against the four teams left on its schedule: Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Baylor and Texas.
- On the bright side: The Red Raiders are 8-0 all-time in the week following a loss to Oklahoma. Last year, they responded by stunning No. 4 West Virginia, 49-14.
- Freshman quarterback Davis Webb has started the Red Raiders' last three games. No FBS quarterback has put up more passing yards in that span than Webb's 1,262 yards.
- No team in the country has settled for more field goals in the red zone (16) than Texas Tech. Oklahoma ranks second in FBS in that stat with 14.
- Opposing offenses are 3-for-18 on fourth downs against the Baylor defense this season. No other FBS defense that has faced at least 15 fourth-down attempts has given up fewer than four conversions.
- The Bears need four more rushing touchdowns this season to break their single-season school record of 37 set in 2011.
- The opposing defenses get tougher in the next month, but Baylor is currently on pace to shatter its school record for total offense in a season by more than 1,700 yards.
- The NCAA record for total offense in a season is 8,387 yards (Houston, 2011) and 624.9 per game (Houston, 1989). Baylor is averaging 718.4 per game and on pace for 9,339.
- Oklahoma is now 60-1 under Bob Stoops with 32 straight wins when rushing for 200 or more yards.
- Lacoltan Bester now has a passing, rushing and receiving touchdown for Oklahoma this season.
- The Sooners are outscoring opponents 129-64 in the first half this season, including 96-19 in the second quarter.
- Iowa State has a 48-43-4 lead in its all-time series against Kansas State but has not won in Manhattan since 2004.
- Only one player -- redshirt freshman Daniel Burton -- has started all seven games on the Iowa State offensive line this season. That unit has already started seven different lineups in 2013.
- In the past two seasons, ISU quarterback Sam B. Richardson has gained 5-plus yards on 50.9 percent of his rushing attempts. He's best in the Big 12 in that stat, with Lache Seastrunk second at 50.7.
- Iowa State has the No. 6 ranked red zone offense in the nation with a 95.2 percent success rate. Its 21 drives that reached the red zone have resulted in 16 touchdowns and four field goals.
- Kansas State has held fourth-quarter leads in three of its four losses this season, but also had a combined eight turnovers in those three games.
- Under Bill Snyder, Kansas State has won 73.4 percent of its games in November (47-17) and has gone undefeated in this month six times.
- K-State is currently tied for the national lead in blocked kicks with four this season. Three have come from defensive lineman Travis Britz, on a field goal and two extra-point attempts.
- Even when excluding sacks, K-State QB Jake Waters has the worst fumbling rate in the nation. He's put the ball on the ground on 11.5 percent of his rushes.
- Against Texas' defense, Oklahoma and TCU combined to convert on 20.7 percent of their third downs with a third-down QBR of 0.5 out of 100.
- Running back Johnathan Gray has rushed for 89 or more yards in each of Texas' last six games. He achieved that just twice last season as a true freshman.
- In their meetings as Big 12 opponents, Texas' offense is averaging 43.6 points and 537.8 yards per game against Kansas.
- The Jayhawks still have not allowed an opposing offense to score on its opening drive through seven games this season.
- KU running back James Sims is four yards away from taking over the No. 3 spot on the school's all-time rushing list.
- In his last game at Texas, as BYU's starting quarterback in 2011, Jake Heaps threw for 192 yards on 22 of 38 passing in a 17-16 loss.
- West Virginia running back Charles Sims is No. 2 in the Big 12 in rushes of 10-plus yards with 21 this season, just seven behind Seastrunk.
- WVU's defense currently ranks last in the Big 12 when it comes to allowing yards per play (6.19) and yards per passing attempt (8.6).
- Since 2001, the Mountaineers have won more games wearing a blue jersey-blue pants uniform (26) but has a better winning percentage when wearing gold pants with those blue jerseys (81.4 percent).
- Under coach Gary Patterson, TCU is 27-9 in regular-season games following losses. Patterson has never lost three straight games.
- TCU has a chance to be the first team to lead the Big 12 in both interceptions and sacks in a season since Nebraska did in 1996.
- A total of 67.7 percent of the Frogs' total yards from scrimmage this season have come from underclassmen.
Oklahoma State Upsets Oklahoma In OT
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
11:00 AM ET Nevada Louisiana-Lafayette 2:20 PM ET Utah State UTEP 3:30 PM ET 22 Utah Colorado State 5:45 PM ET Western Michigan Air Force 9:15 PM ET South Alabama Bowling Green
6:00 PM ET Marshall Northern Illinois 9:30 PM ET Navy San Diego State
12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Western Kentucky 8:00 PM ET Fresno State Rice
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State