Big 12 lunchtime links
October, 15, 2013
By Brandon Chatmon | ESPN.com
Here are some highlights of last weekend's action in case you missed anything.
- Oklahoma defensive tackle Jordan Phillips will likely miss the rest of the season due to a back injury. The Sooners will need some inexperienced defensive tackles to step up in his absence, writes Jason Kersey of The Oklahoman.
- Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads doesn't sound very excited about facing Baylor this weekend, writes Bobby LaGesse of the Ames Tribune.
- TCU coach Gary Patterson isn't a fan of bye weeks once Big 12 play begins, writes Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- "You can just tell the Big 12 is up for grabs for anyone who wants it," says Oklahoma State's Parker Graham. The Oklahoman's Gina Mizell has the story.
- Bad production on offense has overshadowed a good start by Kansas' defense, says Tom Keegan of KUsports.com.
- Baylor quarterback Bryce Petty showed unusual poise in his first road start, writes John Werner of the Waco Tribune. Bears receiver Corey Coleman was suspended for the first half against Iowa State for a block on KSU's Kip Daily last weekend.
- The Wildcats are tired of coming close but coming up short in losses to Baylor and Oklahoma State, writes Nicolas Wahl of the Manhattan Mercury.
- OU offensive coordinator Josh Heupel might have outsmarted himself against Texas, says John Hoover of the Tulsa World.
- Texas Tech defensive end Branden Jackson is one of the few Red Raiders who knows what to expect when his squad travels to Morgantown, W. Va. this weekend, writes Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.
- West Virginia has faced one of the toughest schedules in college football thus far, writes Mike Casazza of the Charleston Daily Mail.
Top Returning Players: Big 12
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35