Big 12 Week 5: Did you know?
September, 27, 2013
By Brandon Chatmon | ESPN.com
Oklahoma and Notre Dame have tradition that is readily apparent in the college football record books, while Oklahoma State makes its first trip to Morgantown, W.Va., since the 1920s. Those tidbits and more are featured in another great package of Big 12 stats thanks to ESPN Stats and Information.
Did you know ...
Did you know ...
- Coaching staffs at Iowa State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, West Virginia and TCU will be wearing Coach to Cure MD patches this week to help raise awareness and funding for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy research.
- Baylor leads the nation in points per game (69.7), point margin per game (62), total yards per game (751.3), total yards margin (454), yards per play (9.84) and passing yards (444.33).
- Baylor's defense has been superb in its own right. BU ranks No. 5 nationally in yards per play allowed (3.82), yards per carry allowed (2.3) and No. 2 in points allowed (7.7).
- BU's Lache Seastrunk is averaging 10.97 yards per carry, ranking No. 2 nationally behind Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon.
- Seastrunk's seven straight games with at least 100 yards rushing is the nation's longest current streak.
- BU quarterback Bryce Petty is averaging 25.89 yards per attempt on third down.
- Baylor's defense has scored more touchdowns (4) than it has allowed this season (3).
- The Iowa State Cyclones were one of three teams that have played only two games heading into this week's action. Colorado, which postponed its Sept. 14 meeting with Fresno State due to flooding, and Navy are the others.
- Iowa State receiver Quenton Bundrage's three-touchdown receptions against Iowa was the third time in 11 games that a Cyclone receiver has recording three touchdown catches. Yet, it only happened three times from 1951 to 2005, a span of 590 games.
- Nigel Tribune, ISU's true freshman cornerback, is the only true freshman who has played for the Cyclones during the past two seasons.
- Kansas running back/receiver Tony Pierson is averaging 11 yards per touch. He has 26 touches for 286 yards and one touchdown.
- Kansas ranks No. 9 nationally in yards per pass attempt allowed, with a 4.9 yards per pass attempt allowed average.
- KU punter Trevor Pardula's 78-yard punt against Louisiana Tech is the second-longest punt in the FBS this season.
- Pardula's 49.7 yards per punt average leads the Big 12.
- Kansas State leads the nation averaging 33.75 per punt return.
- Wildcats receiver Tramaine Thompson is the main reason for KSU's outstanding return game. He's averaging 33.75 yards per punt return (4 for 135 yards) and 56 yards per kickoff return (2 for 112 yards, 1 touchdown).
- KSU receiver Tyler Lockett leads the conference with 7.2 receptions per game for 117.2 yards. Lockett also leads the Big 12 in all-purpose yards with 157.2 per game.
- Oklahoma is looking to become the first current member of the Big 12 to defeat Notre Dame since Texas knocked off the Fighting Irish, 21-17, in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 1, 1970.
- OU has won 36 straight games when leading at halftime.
- OU and Notre Dame have combined to win 1,702 games. ND is third nationally with 868 all-time wins; OU is sixth nationally with 834 all-time wins.
- OU and Notre Dame combined have spent 1,476 weeks in the AP Poll.
- OU is 11-7 against ranked teams on the road under Bob Stoops.
- Notre Dame is 28-4-1 all-time against current Big 12 opponents.
- Oklahoma State has outscored its first three opponents 108-13 in the first three quarters of its games this season.
- Four different Cowboys have scored a special teams touchdown during their career at OSU.
- Oklahoma State and West Virginia will meet for just the fifth time ever on Saturday. It's the Cowboys' first visit to Morgantown, W.Va. since 1928.
- WVU has three members of its staff with strong OSU ties. Head coach Dana Holgorsen was OSU's offensive coordinator under Mike Gundy in 2010. Special teams coordinator Joe DeForest coached at OSU from 2001-11 and graduate assistant Andrew McGee played at OSU in 2009 and 2010.
- Holgorsen recruited OSU quarterback J.W. Walsh to play in Stillwater. Walsh kept his commitment to the Cowboys after Holgorsen left for WVU in Dec. 2010.
- OSU has gained at least 400 yards in 28 of its last 29 games.
- Cowboys linebacker Shaun Lewis has started 35 straight games.
- OSU has scored 15 touchdowns in 15 trips to the red zone this season.
- Ten different players have scored touchdowns for OSU this season.
- Texas is averaging 6.98 yards per play on second down, helping them gain 41 first downs on second-down plays. They've gained 48 first downs on first- and third-down plays combined.
- Texas Tech's Jace Amaro leads the Big 12 with 12 receptions on third down for 205 yards and one touchdown. KSU's Lockett is second with seven third-down catches.
- TCU is 3-1 in 11 a.m. games during the past two seasons.
- TCU coach Gary Patterson is 9-2 as a head coach against SMU.
- TCU has a seven-game win streak in games following a bye week.
- Under Patterson, TCU is 25-8 in games following a loss.
- TCU has won five of the last six games against SMU.
- TCU has faced SMU 92 times, tying the Mustangs with Texas A&M for the second-most meetings with the Horned Frogs.
- Trevone Boykin's 101 rushing yards against Texas Tech made him the first TCU quarterback since David Roscoe (vs. BYU in 1987) to reach 100 rushing yards in a game.
- Texas Tech ranks No. 4 nationally with 408.5 passing yards.
- The Red Raiders rank No. 4 nationally in red zone efficiency allowed at 22.2 percent.
- Texas Tech ranks No. 5 nationally in goal-to-go efficiency allowed at 16.7 percent.
- The Red Raiders rank No. 7 nationally in kickoff return yardage allowed at 16.63 yards per return.
- Fourteen players have made their first start for West Virginia this season, including quarterback Ford Childress and running back Charles Sims.
- West Virginia is eighth nationally with 30 underclassmen on its depth chart, making the Mountaineers the Big 12's youngest team.
- West Virginia is 97-93-1 all-time in nationally televised games. Saturday's game against OSU is WVU's 192nd network television appearance.
- WVU's shutout loss to Maryland was the first time in 151 games that the Mountaineers were held scoreless since Oct. 6, 2001, against Virginia Tech.
Top Returning Players: Big 12
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35