Big 12 lunch links
September, 13, 2013
By Max Olson | ESPN.com
Blame the refs if you want, TCU fans, but why was Trevone Boykin wearing a Kansas State arm sleeve on Thursday night? On to the links ...
- Kliff Kingsbury got his first big win at Texas Tech, knocking off No. 24 TCU 20-10. Kingsbury is happy to take a crazy, ugly win. What a night for the Red Raider defense. Bradley Marquez made a bigger contribution than just the game-winning score. After the loss, Gary Patterson says it's time for penalty-prone TCU to "grow up." Gil LeBreton of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram writes this looked like the same TCU team of 2012. Devonte Fields was also injured in the game.
- Oklahoma State Berry Tramel's take on part III: OSU needs to quit recruiting numskulls. Here's background on the players involved in part III. Former Cowboy Artrell Woods is still mad at OSU. SI responds to criticism from Brandon Weeden. As for this week's game, Lamar's offense is much like what OSU sees in the Big 12.
- West Virginia is handing over the keys to its offense to quarterback Ford Childress. Dana Holgorsen says it's Childress' time and his job. WVU linebacker Doug Rigg "still a little foggy" after being knocked out of the Oklahoma game.
- Oklahoma needs a passing attack to maximize its potential. Bob Stoops argues that majority of OU's passing troubles aren't the fault of his QBs.
- Andy Staples of Sports Illustrated visited Texas and Texas A&M on same day and compared where both programs stand. Former Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro says players are to blame for the firing of Manny Diaz. Athlon is predicting an Ole Miss victory on Saturday.
- Kansas ready to end 22-game road losing streak that began in Sept. 2009. KU may have found its deep threat in receiver Rodriguez Coleman. Safety/linebacker tweener Victor Simmons is making a good impression on KU defensive coordinator Dave Campo.
- Iowa State needs Sam Richardson to make game-winning decisions this weekend. The loser of Iowa-Iowa State faces a tough road ahead.
- Bill Snyder is more confident in playing a two-quarterback system than ever before. UMass is facing quarterback questions of its own, plus five keys to a KSU win this weekend.
- Sports On Earth looks at how Baylor and other big-time schools are feasting on easy wins over small-conference schools. The Bears' new stadium is coming along nicely.
Sooners Score ESPN 300 DE From VA
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
5:27 1st Qtr Fresno State 0 Rice 3 Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State