Big 12 lunchtime links: Diaz done
September, 9, 2013
By Max Olson | ESPN.com
These are serious times for several Big 12 schools, so be sure to take a moment to watch my early frontrunner for college football play of the year. It'll warm your heart.
- The story of the day on Sunday: Texas relieved defensive coordinator Manny Diaz of his duties and promoted former DC Greg Robinson. Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman says Mack Brown had to make the move. Chuck Carlton calls it a decision of desperation and necessity. Is Mack "on the clock" now?
- The Oklahoman's Berry Tramel offers his take on the impending Oklahoma State scandal and what comes next. Mike Gundy has declined to comment on the still-unpublished Sports Illustrated story. A few newcomers are making an early impact for OSU.
- The coach under fire in the SI investigation is now at West Virginia, and AD Oliver Luck is starting an independent review of his own. WVU almost gave Florida State transfer Clint Trickett a chance against Oklahoma. It appears the WVU defense improved a bit in week 2.
- In case you missed it, TCU quarterback Casey Pachall's fractured arm will reportedly keep him out up to eight weeks. That is a cruel twist of fate for Pachall after how far he has come.
- We won't know how good Baylor really is until November. The Bears graded out near-perfect against Buffalo in week 2.
- Trevor Knight's red-zone turnovers are forcing Bob Stoops to reconsider his QB choice. Not only does Knight have a potential knee issue, but cornerback Aaron Colvin cracked a molar.
- In Lubbock, Baker Mayfield strengthened his case for why he's Texas Tech's best quarterback this weekend. The Red Raider offense's fast start was one of five key developments from Saturday.
- It's now Iowa-Iowa State week, and Mike Hlas of the Cedar Rapids Gazette says the theme this year might be "Somebody's Gotta Win!" Interesting look here at how ISU managed to thrive during a national attendance decline.
- The Kansas State defense is showing signs of progress after knocking off Louisiana. John Hubert hit the 2,000-yard career rushing milestone, making him only the ninth KSU back to do so.
- Kansas faces a key test against Rice, writes Tom Keegan of the Lawrence Journal-World. Running back Darrian Miller is making the most of his opportunities.
One Thing To Know: Big 12 Recruiting
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET North Dakota State Iowa State 3:30 PM ET West Virginia Alabama 7:00 PM ET Louisiana Tech Oklahoma 7:00 PM ET Samford TCU 7:00 PM ET Central Arkansas Texas Tech 7:10 PM ET Stephen F. Austin Kansas State 8:00 PM ET Florida State Oklahoma State 8:00 PM ET North Texas Texas