Big 12 lunchtime links: Diaz done
September, 9, 2013
By Max Olson | ESPN.com
These are serious times for several Big 12 schools, so be sure to take a moment to watch my early frontrunner for college football play of the year. It'll warm your heart.
- The story of the day on Sunday: Texas relieved defensive coordinator Manny Diaz of his duties and promoted former DC Greg Robinson. Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman says Mack Brown had to make the move. Chuck Carlton calls it a decision of desperation and necessity. Is Mack "on the clock" now?
- The Oklahoman's Berry Tramel offers his take on the impending Oklahoma State scandal and what comes next. Mike Gundy has declined to comment on the still-unpublished Sports Illustrated story. A few newcomers are making an early impact for OSU.
- The coach under fire in the SI investigation is now at West Virginia, and AD Oliver Luck is starting an independent review of his own. WVU almost gave Florida State transfer Clint Trickett a chance against Oklahoma. It appears the WVU defense improved a bit in week 2.
- In case you missed it, TCU quarterback Casey Pachall's fractured arm will reportedly keep him out up to eight weeks. That is a cruel twist of fate for Pachall after how far he has come.
- We won't know how good Baylor really is until November. The Bears graded out near-perfect against Buffalo in week 2.
- Trevor Knight's red-zone turnovers are forcing Bob Stoops to reconsider his QB choice. Not only does Knight have a potential knee issue, but cornerback Aaron Colvin cracked a molar.
- In Lubbock, Baker Mayfield strengthened his case for why he's Texas Tech's best quarterback this weekend. The Red Raider offense's fast start was one of five key developments from Saturday.
- It's now Iowa-Iowa State week, and Mike Hlas of the Cedar Rapids Gazette says the theme this year might be "Somebody's Gotta Win!" Interesting look here at how ISU managed to thrive during a national attendance decline.
- The Kansas State defense is showing signs of progress after knocking off Louisiana. John Hubert hit the 2,000-yard career rushing milestone, making him only the ninth KSU back to do so.
- Kansas faces a key test against Rice, writes Tom Keegan of the Lawrence Journal-World. Running back Darrian Miller is making the most of his opportunities.
Top Returning Players: Big 12
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35