Big 12's lunchtime links
August, 28, 2013
By Brandon Chatmon | ESPN.com
He's not heading to the Big 12, but any football fan would love this run... stop it, Jabrill, just stop it.
- West Virginia's leading rusher, Andrew Buie, is slated to redshirt this season, reports Mike Casazza of the Charleston Daily Mail. Houston transfer Charles Sims sits atop the depth chart at running back.
- TCU coach Gary Patterson likes the underdog role heading into the Horned Frogs' opener against LSU, writes Gil Lebreton of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Patterson goes into detail about TCU's quarterback battle and playing Casey Pachall and Trevone Boykin, reports Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Also Devonte Fields is set to suit up on Saturday but probably won't play.
- There are three keys to West Virginia's season, writes Stephen J. Nesbitt of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Jake Waters may be the starting quarterback at Kansas State but don't forget about Daniel Sams, writes Bob Lutz of The Wichita Eagle.
- KSU's Travis Britz expects a different feeling in the Wildcats' season opener than he had a year ago, reports The Wichita Eagle's Kellis Robinett.
- The first weekend of high school football brought a horrifying moment for Oklahoma center Ty Darlington. The Oklahoman's Jason Kersey talked to Darlington about watching his brother Zach get injured during a high school game last weekend.
- Oklahoma State running back Jeremy Smith almost left Stillwater early in his career but ultimately decided to stay. Now he's the main man in the Cowboys backfield, writes The Oklahoman's John Helsley.
- The Oklahoman's Gina Mizell takes a look at some of Oklahoma State's options at left tackle to replace Devin Davis. Davis is expected to miss the season with a torn ACL.
- "The closest we’ve seen to Baylor’s speed was when the Carolina Panthers were here for training camp,” --Wofford coach Mike Ayers doesn't sound too excited about the prospect of facing Baylor's athletes. The Waco Tribune's John Werner has the report.
- Jeremiah George and the Iowa State defense will have to keep its focus if the Cyclones hope to exceed expectations this fall.
- Texas Tech hopes to go from "worst to first" after struggling to create turnovers last season, reports Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. Williams also has a couple Red Raider newcomers to keep an eye on.
- An overlooked junior college transfer is poised to help Kansas' secondary this season, writes Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal World.
- Nobody will know what Oklahoma has in Trevor Knight until Saturday, writes Guerin Emig of the Tulsa World.
- Texas lost a defensive tackle as Ashton Dorsey elected to transfer on Tuesday, reports HornsNation's Max Olson.
- UT defensive coordinator Manny Diaz talks about the Longhorns' defense.
Sooners Score ESPN 300 DE From VA
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State