Big 12's lunchtime links
August, 28, 2013
By Brandon Chatmon | ESPN.com
He's not heading to the Big 12, but any football fan would love this run... stop it, Jabrill, just stop it.
- West Virginia's leading rusher, Andrew Buie, is slated to redshirt this season, reports Mike Casazza of the Charleston Daily Mail. Houston transfer Charles Sims sits atop the depth chart at running back.
- TCU coach Gary Patterson likes the underdog role heading into the Horned Frogs' opener against LSU, writes Gil Lebreton of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Patterson goes into detail about TCU's quarterback battle and playing Casey Pachall and Trevone Boykin, reports Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Also Devonte Fields is set to suit up on Saturday but probably won't play.
- There are three keys to West Virginia's season, writes Stephen J. Nesbitt of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Jake Waters may be the starting quarterback at Kansas State but don't forget about Daniel Sams, writes Bob Lutz of The Wichita Eagle.
- KSU's Travis Britz expects a different feeling in the Wildcats' season opener than he had a year ago, reports The Wichita Eagle's Kellis Robinett.
- The first weekend of high school football brought a horrifying moment for Oklahoma center Ty Darlington. The Oklahoman's Jason Kersey talked to Darlington about watching his brother Zach get injured during a high school game last weekend.
- Oklahoma State running back Jeremy Smith almost left Stillwater early in his career but ultimately decided to stay. Now he's the main man in the Cowboys backfield, writes The Oklahoman's John Helsley.
- The Oklahoman's Gina Mizell takes a look at some of Oklahoma State's options at left tackle to replace Devin Davis. Davis is expected to miss the season with a torn ACL.
- "The closest we’ve seen to Baylor’s speed was when the Carolina Panthers were here for training camp,” --Wofford coach Mike Ayers doesn't sound too excited about the prospect of facing Baylor's athletes. The Waco Tribune's John Werner has the report.
- Jeremiah George and the Iowa State defense will have to keep its focus if the Cyclones hope to exceed expectations this fall.
- Texas Tech hopes to go from "worst to first" after struggling to create turnovers last season, reports Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. Williams also has a couple Red Raider newcomers to keep an eye on.
- An overlooked junior college transfer is poised to help Kansas' secondary this season, writes Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal World.
- Nobody will know what Oklahoma has in Trevor Knight until Saturday, writes Guerin Emig of the Tulsa World.
- Texas lost a defensive tackle as Ashton Dorsey elected to transfer on Tuesday, reports HornsNation's Max Olson.
- UT defensive coordinator Manny Diaz talks about the Longhorns' defense.
Stoops Talks Sugar Bowl Win
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET North Dakota State Iowa State 3:30 PM ET West Virginia Alabama 7:00 PM ET Louisiana Tech Oklahoma 7:00 PM ET Samford TCU 7:00 PM ET Central Arkansas Texas Tech 7:10 PM ET Stephen F. Austin Kansas State 8:00 PM ET Florida State Oklahoma State 8:00 PM ET North Texas Texas