Lunch links: OSU loses starting tackle
August, 27, 2013
By Brandon Chatmon | ESPN.com
Plenty of news and notes as game week officially kicked off on Monday.
- OSU likely lost its starting left tackle for the season reports The Oklahoman's Gina Mizell. It's a rough blow for the Cowboys, who will have to reshuffle their offensive line. Mizell also provides a solid breakdown of which Cowboy freshmen could make an impact this season.
- The Tulsa World's Kelly Hines talked with several national writers about the potential impact of Oklahoma State vs Mississippi State in the Big 12 vs SEC debate.
- It's time for Iowa State football to take the next step forward, writes Randy Peterson of the Des Moines Register.
- There are several interesting changes on Iowa State's depth chart, reports Bobby La Gesse of the Ames Tribune.
- Jake Waters won the starting quarterback job at Kansas State with his consistency and effort, reports Kellis Robinett of the Wichita Eagle.
- Kansas is the only Big 12 team that doesn't kick off this weekend. And Charlie Weis thinks it's a good thing for this year's team, writes Matt Tait of KUSports.com.
- Wofford will bring an old-school offensive attack against Baylor, writes the Waco Tribune's John Werner.
- One glimpse at West Virginia's depth chart reveals how deep the Mountaineers are at running back, says the Charleston Gazette's Dave Hickman.
- When Texas Tech visits SMU on Friday, there will be plenty of offensive minds on the field, writes Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.
- Texas' defense hopes to rebound after the worst year, statistically, in school history, writes Jimmy Burch of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- "We want to keep developing Blake [Bell]," says Bob Stoops who expects to keep using Bell in short yardage situations this season. The Tulsa World's Guerin Emig has the report.
- Oklahoma is hoping to surprise people and insert itself into the BCS title hunt with some small changes to its offense and defense, reports George Schroeder of the USA Today.
Top Returning Players: Big 12
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35