Lunch Links: The QB races continue
August, 19, 2013
By Max Olson | ESPN.com
- Clint Chelf or J.W. Walsh? There might be no wrong answer. Tulsa World columnist John E. Hoover considers Mike Gundy’s QB problem a “perfect situation.” Gina Mizell of the Oklahoman offers her best-case and worst-case scenarios for OSU this season.
- Jake Waters and Daniel Sams discuss their rather friendly competition for the Kansas State starting quarterback job.
- Gary Patterson is willing to wait until kickoff vs. LSU to announce the winner of his QB race. He wants the Tigers to prepare for both possibilities.
- Some Sooners DBs have become accustomed to change after playing for three different position coaches, The Norman Transcript’s John Shinn writes. Are the Sooners contenders or pretenders? The Oklahoman’s Jason Kersey offers his take.
- Texas RB Joe Bergeron is leaner and meaner entering his junior year, writes Randy Riggs of the Austin American-Statesman. Texas also picked up a third running back commit for its 2013 recruiting class this weekend. The Los Angeles Times pegs Texas at No. 11 in their preseason countdown.
- Big passing plays highlighted Iowa State's scrimmage this weekend, writes Bobby La Gesse of the Ames Tribute. Recapping what Iowa State has in the secondary in 2013.
- Bryce Petty was sharp in Baylor’s second scrimmage, and freshman WR Robbie Rhodes continues to impress.
- Will West Virginia exceed expectations this fall? That's what Mitch Vingle of the Saturday Gazette-Mail predicts. Dana Holgorsen is happy with where WVU stands on special teams.
- Jake Heaps was "fantastic" in Kansas' scrimmage Saturday, and freshman QB Montell Cozart also stepped up. The Jayhawks finally have some competition for kicking roles.
- Texas Tech players are enthusiastic about playing in a more aggressive defense. Defensive coordinator Matt Wallerstedt has a plan at linebacker.
#AskSportsCenter With Paul Finebaum
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET North Dakota State Iowa State 3:30 PM ET West Virginia 2 Alabama 7:00 PM ET Louisiana Tech 4 Oklahoma 7:00 PM ET Samford TCU 7:00 PM ET Central Arkansas Texas Tech 7:10 PM ET Stephen F. Austin 20 Kansas State 8:00 PM ET North Texas Texas 8:00 PM ET 1 Florida State Oklahoma State