Lunch Links: The QB races continue
August, 19, 2013
By Max Olson | ESPN.com
- Clint Chelf or J.W. Walsh? There might be no wrong answer. Tulsa World columnist John E. Hoover considers Mike Gundy’s QB problem a “perfect situation.” Gina Mizell of the Oklahoman offers her best-case and worst-case scenarios for OSU this season.
- Jake Waters and Daniel Sams discuss their rather friendly competition for the Kansas State starting quarterback job.
- Gary Patterson is willing to wait until kickoff vs. LSU to announce the winner of his QB race. He wants the Tigers to prepare for both possibilities.
- Some Sooners DBs have become accustomed to change after playing for three different position coaches, The Norman Transcript’s John Shinn writes. Are the Sooners contenders or pretenders? The Oklahoman’s Jason Kersey offers his take.
- Texas RB Joe Bergeron is leaner and meaner entering his junior year, writes Randy Riggs of the Austin American-Statesman. Texas also picked up a third running back commit for its 2013 recruiting class this weekend. The Los Angeles Times pegs Texas at No. 11 in their preseason countdown.
- Big passing plays highlighted Iowa State's scrimmage this weekend, writes Bobby La Gesse of the Ames Tribute. Recapping what Iowa State has in the secondary in 2013.
- Bryce Petty was sharp in Baylor’s second scrimmage, and freshman WR Robbie Rhodes continues to impress.
- Will West Virginia exceed expectations this fall? That's what Mitch Vingle of the Saturday Gazette-Mail predicts. Dana Holgorsen is happy with where WVU stands on special teams.
- Jake Heaps was "fantastic" in Kansas' scrimmage Saturday, and freshman QB Montell Cozart also stepped up. The Jayhawks finally have some competition for kicking roles.
- Texas Tech players are enthusiastic about playing in a more aggressive defense. Defensive coordinator Matt Wallerstedt has a plan at linebacker.
Top Returning Players: Big 12
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35