- Jake Trotter, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
A couple months ago, I got a mailbag question requesting a ranking of the Big 12's best uniforms. Two months later, I have the answer.
The Big 12 is loaded with countless uniform combinations, with Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas and TCU all unveiling multiple alternative jerseys and helmets in recent years.
Some attempts have been home runs. Others haven't worked out so well.
Below is my ranking of the 25 best uniform combos in the Big 12. As a bonus, I offer my nine worst, as well. The only rule was that they had to be a current option, either having been worn in recent seasons or released in the offseason.
1. Texas all whites: Cleanest look in the Big 12, if not all of college football.
2. Oklahoma crimson-white-whites: Interlocking “OU” helmet screams tradition.
3. Texas Tech all blacks: So strong, it’s a mystery Tech utilitiezses so many goofy alternates.
4. Baylor green-green-whites/golds or green-white-greens: Baylor’s green matte helmet is one of my personal favorites.
5. Oklahoma State black-white-oranges: 2011 Iowa State curse on this slick look was lifted with last year’s Bedlam comeback.
6. Baylor chrome gold-black-blacks: When Shawn Oakman dons this, there is not a more intimidating look in the league.
7. Kansas State silver-white-silvers: Like Bill Snyder, simple, magnificent.
8. Texas white-burnt orange-whites: Not as sharp as the all whites, but still pretty dang good.
9. Oklahoma crimson-crimson-whites: Winners since Jack Mildren was behind center.
10. West Virginia blue-gold-blues: The gold pops here.
11. Kansas State silver-purple-silvers: The “Powercat” is among college football’s most underrated helmets.
12. TCU chrome purple-black-purples: This combo was made for Trevone Boykin.
13. West Virginia throwback helmet-blue-blues or whites: How you do a throwback.
14. Texas Tech throwbacks: Also how you do a throwback.
15. Oklahoma State black “Phantom Pistol Pete” helmet-white-whites or blacks: Undoubtedly the Cowboys’ best alternate helmet.
16. TCU all whites: TCU’s sharpest road uni.
17. Oklahoma State all whites: Quietly a classic.
18. Texas Tech gray-white-grays: Tech’s best alternate by a mile.
19. Kansas blue-blue-grays: Jayhawks almost beat TCU in these for a reason.
20. Kansas white-blue-whites: Not bad, either.
21. West Virginia all whites: Storm Troopers with a twist.
22. TCU purple-white-whites: Horned Frogs look good on the road.
23. Oklahoma State all blacks: Not on the level of Tech’s all blacks, but Cowboys pull it off.
24. Iowa State red-white-whites: Iowa State’s road unis better than its home.
25. West Virginia blue-gold-golds: Tavon Austin rushed for 344 in these.
THE DIRTY NINE:
Oklahoma "Bring the Wood" homes: Hopefully, Baylor killed this ill-conceived alternate for good.
Texas Tech "Lone Stars": If everyone doubled state flags as uniforms, it would be interesting, and not in a good way.
Iowa State throwbacks: Jack Trice pulled these off; present day Cyclones not so much.
TCU "Mach Speed" lizardskins: Why we should have veto on all new alternates.
Texas Tech "Never Quits": Does anyone know what the thinking was here?
Iowa State golds: Your starting Iowa State quarterback, Ronald McDonald.
Texas Tech "Ombrés": Quite possibly the worst helmet in football.
Oklahoma State "Aggie" helmets: Wyoming East.
Kansas "Crimson Chromes”: Yikes.
2dJake Trotter and Brandon Chatmon