Quick hits from Brady Hoke's presser
September, 18, 2012
By Michael Rothstein | ESPN.com
Michigan coach Brady Hoke spoke to the media for his 10 allotted minutes on the Big Ten conference call Tuesday afternoon. Here, as always, is a quick recap of what he said leading into Saturday's game against Notre Dame.
- On the Notre Dame rivalry: "Well, it’s really probably a decision I’ll have nothing to do with. I don’t know. I think it’s a great rivalry from a national perspective."
- On Denard Robinson's game last season: "Number one, for three quarters we did nothing on either side of the ball. That’s what I remember most. Denard, the fourth quarter, he played well, the receivers did a great job and Al Borges, some of the adjustments he made offensively."
- When asked why he hasn't been saying he is "hearing football," much like he did last season, Hoke said his team needs to be "more physical."
- On the Michigan defense: "We played a little better. When you look at from the techniques and fundamentals and the visual keys, everything you coach, there were still too many runs where I didn’t think we knocked line of scrimmage back enough … But we’re kind of a work in progress. We were a little bit that way last year, early in the season. We just have to continue to get better every time we go out.”
- On Notre Dame being faster: "“They are. They’re a little quicker at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. ... Offensively, [George] Atkinson is a 100-meter guy, he’s a playmaker for them. Cierre Wood is a playmaker. … You look at the tight ends, they have three tight ends that everyone in the country would like to have. … [Tyler] Eifert poses a big mismatch.”
Appalachian State Upset: 7 Years Later
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
0:00 2nd Qtr Penn State 10 UCF 3 12:00 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois
12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana
12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa
12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan
12:00 PM ET 5 Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue
3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic 22 Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 9:00 PM ET 14 Wisconsin 13 LSU
Final Eastern Illinois 20 Minnesota 42 Final Rutgers 41 Washington State 38