The recruiting process for 2014 quarterback prospect Chance Stewart (Sturgis, Mich./Sturgis) is starting to heat up. The 6-foot-5 sophomore has heard mostly from Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Mississippi State.
The Stewart family has been through the recruiting process before. The eldest of six Stewart children, Bronte’, is a swimmer at Oakland University in Rochester Hills, Mich. For that, Chance’s father, Chad, is thankful that he has been through the recruiting process. But he knows Division I football recruiting is a whole new ballgame.
“Swimming is pretty cut and dry because it’s times, it’s not somebody watching and evaluating this and that,” Chad said. “I wasn’t anticipating startng this early with the amount of interest Chance has had. That kind of caught us by surprise, but we’ve just gone with it.”
Chad has enlisted the help of Tom Sharpley, father of former Notre Dame quarterback Evan Sharpley and former Notre Dame baseball pitcher Ryan Sharpley.
Sharpley recommended that Chance try to visit as many camps this summer as he can, so the Stewarts have already lined that up. Chance will be going to camps at each of the four schools that he has hearing from the most right now, as well as Alabama, Texas and Ohio State.
“It’s a chance to show everyone in person what I’m all about,” Chance said. “And we’ll see where that takes us.”
Stewart is looking at several aspects of each college including academics -- he’s hoping to study education -- location, campus, student body and a team that runs a pro-style offense where he can throw the ball.
He said that even though junior quarterback Shane Morris (Warren, Mich./De La Salle) is already committed to Michigan, that it wouldn’t really affect his decision.
“There are several possibilities, we could even be two years apart if I were to redshirt,” Stewart said. “It’s things I’ll have to think about. I don’t think it would ever be a huge thing.”
As of now, Stewart is planning on taking his time with his recruitment and not committing until his senior year.
“I think I’d be a guy who’d wait it out,” Stewart said. “I’d be worried that if I decided too early, I’d second-guess myself. I still have a few years to figure that out, but if the right offer comes, then it comes.”