Big Ten lunchtime links
February, 27, 2014
By Mitch Sherman | ESPN.com
Cold, cold, go away.
- Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez weighs in on the Michael Sam discussion after his performance at the NFL combine.
- Court documents show EA Sports wanted to use players’ names and likenesses in its video games.
- Ohio State strength coach Mickey Marotti lays out his priorities for the Buckeyes in the offseason. Meanwhile, Urban Meyer’s wife, Shelly, offers a tour of their Ohio home, which includes a Key West room, and she talks about Urban’s long-term future.
- Penn State coach James Franklin and his staff have a history of success in developing defensive backs.
- More on the notable pay raises for Mark Dantonio and his staff at Michigan State. And AD Mark Hollis says the big salary bumps will come with no expected ticket-price increase in East Lansing.
- Jake Ryan’s position switch has him reunited with Greg Mattison, and it feels so good. More news and notes from Brady Hoke, including an explanation on the position changes, as Michigan opens spring practice.
- Purdue running back Raheem Mostert is accomplishing big things in indoor track this winter.
- Rutgers is getting all techy in how it communicates with football prospects.
- Nebraska is stuck in neutral as a football program and must re-examine its standard for success, writes Sports On Earth. And former running back Cory Ross has fond memories of his time ex-Nebraska coach Bill Callahan.
- All-state quarterback Drew Cook, the son of former star Iowa tight end Marv Cook, accepts an offer from the Hawkeyes. Plus, an interesting breakdown of the Iowa running backs’ production in 2013.
- Jerry Kill’s new contract shines light on his aw-shucks persona.
- The debate continues at Northwestern over 27 players’ bid to unionize, with a perspective on the situation from Oregon.
1Q MICH D. Gardner pass,to D. Funchess for 11 yds for a 1ST down
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
End 1st Qtr Youngstown State 0 Illinois 0 Delayed Indiana State Indiana 14:53 2nd Qtr Northern Iowa 3 Iowa 7 13:01 2nd Qtr Appalachian State 0 Michigan 14 14:04 2nd Qtr 5 Ohio State 3 Navy 7 0:03 1st Qtr Western Michigan 7 Purdue 7 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic 22 Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern
3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland
9:00 PM ET 14 Wisconsin 13 LSU Final Penn State 26 UCF 24
Final Eastern Illinois 20 Minnesota 42 Final Rutgers 41 Washington State 38