Big Ten lunchtime links
December, 30, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
Including last season, the Big Ten is 1-6 in bowl games in 2013. Maybe 2014 will be better?
- Michigan State has come together as a close-knit team. Even a senior quarterback who lost his starting job and a redshirt freshman whose brother is suspended know what they need to do.
- The pre-Rose Bowl tradition of the "Beef Bowl" has mostly given way to moderation, but it wasn't always like that. One Michigan lineman once ate 8 pounds of prime rib.
- Penn State wants to find stability in its next coach but, the Patriot-News' Dave Jones writes, but that's not easy when the university's president and athletic director each have one foot out the door.
- Ohio State defensive end Noah Spence did not travel to the Orange Bowl because of "personal issues," but Urban Meyer said he hoped the Buckeyes' sacks leader might arrive before the game.
- Braxton Miller's decision whether to declare for the NFL draft is likely already made and won't be influenced by the Orange Bowl, writes Cleveland.com's Ari Wasserman.
- After hearing the seniors' take on their head coach, Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez said he feels like he hit a "home run" with the hiring of Gary Andersen.
- Michigan's disappointing end to a disappointing season leaves more questions than answers about 2014. Defensive end Frank Clark didn't point the finger at the staff about the loss and said, "I think a lot of guys just lost the will to play as a family."
- Kirk Ferentz acknowledged there's one wild card standing in front of the Hawkeyes -- LSU's first-time starting quarterback Anthony Jennings.
- Nebraska QB Tommy Armstrong Jr. has taken the good with the bad this season and, if he's able to play a clean bowl game, the Huskers have a good shot at winning.
- Sure, Minnesota lost the Texas Bowl. But there is a silver lining -- the Gophers return a solid nucleus next season.
WOLVERINENATION RECRUITING NEWS
MICHIGAN FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Big Ten Network retweeted
2014 Big Ten STANDINGS
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Penn State 14 Illinois 16 Final Indiana 27 6 Ohio State 42 Final 25 Minnesota 28 23 Nebraska 24 Final Northwestern 38 Purdue 14 Final Rutgers 3 11 Michigan State 45 Final 16 Wisconsin 26 Iowa 24 Final Maryland 23 Michigan 16