Big Ten lunchtime links
November, 20, 2013
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
Paul Bunyan's Axe is super cool, but I wonder if the teams were more motivated when Wisconsin and Minnesota played for the Slab of Bacon. Mmm ... bacon.
- Longtime NFL insider Gil Brandt isn't very impressed with the Big Ten and says Baylor would thump Ohio State.
- Jerry Kill and Gary Andersen took similar small-time roads to get to a big-time college coaching job. Minnesota could be very thin at receiver against Wisconsin.
- Michigan State's defense can't have an off day like it did against Nebraska if it hopes to beat Ohio State.
- The Nebraska turnover plague has reared its ugly head again.
- Darrell Hazell is trying to focus on long-term success at Purdue as the losses pile up in his first year.
- A winning season would be a nice accomplishment for Penn State -- and proof that the NCAA sanctions didn't wreck the program.
- Iowa is going with whatever works at running back.
- The Purdue game is a must-win for Tim Beckman, Loren Tate writes.
- Michigan freshman running back Derrick Green is starting to show the potential that made him a superstar recruit.
- Teddy Greenstein breaks down the top candidates for the Chicago Tribune's Silver Football award.
Week 1: Take Your Pick
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Eastern Illinois 20 Minnesota 42 Final Rutgers 41 Washington State 38
8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana 12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa 12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan 12:00 PM ET 5 Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue 12:05 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic 22 Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 9:00 PM ET 14 Wisconsin 13 LSU