Big Ten lunchtime links
September, 13, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
Don't go camping near a lake today ...
- Canada native Akeel Lynch struggled with the death of his father at age 7, adjusted to the American lifestyle and is now a Penn State tailback brimming with potential. Who's the next PSU alum who should have his jersey retired? Mike Poorman weighs in and mentions the likes of W.T. Dunn and Wally Triplett.
- Teddy Greenstein looks into whether top jobs at Texas or USC could tempt Pat Fitzgerald into leaving Northwestern. Previewing the Western Michigan-Northwestern contest really comes down to the Wildcats' opponent just not being that good.
- Michigan wants to give Derrick Green more carries, but Fitz Toussaint is getting the job done. Here are four things to watch in the Akron-UM game Saturday.
- Cal is OSU's marquee nonconference game and, Bob Hunter writes, that means "it might be time to take down the marquee." Five Buckeyes could have their first breakout performances of their careers this weekend.
- DE Shilique Calhoun is a smiling, friendly person now -- but he wasn't always like that. The Michigan State sophomore was shaped by a middle-school bullying tragedy. The Spartans clearly have the overall advantage against Youngstown State, but the Penguins have the edge at a few positions.
- Last season's Nebraska-UCLA matchup was a disaster for the Cornhuskers, and Dick Chatelain reflects and tries to wrap his mind around the nature of missed tackles. Nebraska's freshman linebackers are ready for their first big test this season.
- Minnesota's passing offense hasn't exactly been dynamic these first two weeks, but don't expect a shift from the Gophers' run-first mentality. With the injury to Donnell Kirkwood, Rodrick Williams should see a lot more touches against Western Illinois.
- Wisconsin center Dan Voltz lost his starting job following an injury, but he's still waiting patiently for another chance. Sophomore linebacker Joe Schobert should play a key role against Arizona State's fast-paced offense.
- Here are four key matchups to the Purdue-Notre Dame game. The Boilermakers' defensive line is solid and could pose problems for Notre Dame.
- Iowa State quarterback Sam Richardson and Iowa signal-caller Jake Rudock are both Florida natives and will meet in Iowa City on Saturday. The Hawkeyes' and Cyclones' coaches combine to make more than $10 million.
- Former linebacker Dick Butkus said he's gotten "kind of embarrassed" with the way his alma mater has played. A look at the most important players for Illinois this week.
- Indiana knows it has to solve its defensive problems if it wants to beat Bowling Green. Robby Howard thinks it's time to end the quarterback debate and that Nate Sudfeld should be the starter.
Gardner Feeling Comfortable With Offense
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Eastern Illinois 20 Minnesota 42 Final Rutgers 41 Washington State 38
Final Penn State 26 UCF 24 Final Youngstown State 17 Illinois 28 Final Indiana State 10 Indiana 28 Final Northern Iowa 23 Iowa 31 Final Appalachian State 14 Michigan 52 Final 5 Ohio State 34 Navy 17 Final Western Michigan 34 Purdue 43 Final Florida Atlantic 7 22 Nebraska 55 Final California 31 Northwestern 24 Final James Madison 7 Maryland 52 Final 14 Wisconsin 24 13 LSU 28