Finally, Saturdays have meaning again ...
- Minnesota may have scheduled some cupcakes for its nonconference schedule but, Tom Powers writes, but the Gophers are off to the right start after dismantling UNLV 51-23 on Thursday. And big plays naturally played a big role in overcoming a slow first half.
- Penn State is looking forward to playing inside an NFL stadium. It's "like a dream come true," said one player. Mike Poorman writes that MLB Glenn Carson follows a long line of PSU linebackers from New Jersey.
- Nick Baumgardner outlines the five keys and things to watch in the Wolverines' opener against Central Michigan. The Chippewas are clearly overmatched but, in this breakdown, they do at least have the advantage when it comes to the rush offense.
- Buffalo's mission against Ohio State? "Collect a hefty paycheck, don't have injuries and don't embarrass yourself." Without their top two running backs, the Buckeyes will have to lean more on their passing attack.
- Andrew Maxwell's first season as Michigan State's starting QB wasn't exactly productive, but he should be better now that he has more experience. Western Michigan is also keeping the Spartans guessing about its schemes for Friday night's opener.
- Nebraska will install a statue of former football coach/athletic director Bob Devaney during a public ceremony at 4 p.m. Friday. More than 20 years after running onto the field as a Cornhusker, Tom Banderas will see his son do the same.
- Wisconsin's coach is different, but the goal's the same: Get to Pasadena. Linebacker Ethan Armstrong, who missed all of spring practice, is ready for the new 3-4 defense.
- Iowa OL Brandon Scherff, who went with a knee injury last year, reflected on how painful it was to watch the Hawkeyes struggle from the bench. But he and the other Hawkeyes are hoping to turn that pain into gain this season. There's no way around it, either -- the season opener against Northern Illinois is a must-win.
- Indiana crushed Indiana State 73-35 in Thursday's opener and set quite a few scoring records. But, Bob Kravitz writes, remember it's just against Indiana State.
- Illinois starters Eric Finney and Ted Karras are out the opener. Here are 10 important questions surrounding Illinois football.
- Northwestern's Venric Mark is no longer an afterthought. Here's a primer on Northwestern and a bit of what to expect in the Cal game.
Michigan Investigated By Feds
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35