Big Ten lunchtime links
August, 22, 2013
By Chantel Jennings | ESPN.com
On this day in 1851, the United States won its first ever America’s Cup. And for winning it all, you get a silver trophy. Oh, yachting.
- Ohio State CB Bradley Roby’s charges were dropped, but he’s still suspended for the first game. OSU could go undefeated again this season, but Urban Meyer doesn’t want the team thinking about it, writes Bill Rabinowitz. The Buckeyes have the best potential to end Alabama’s reign. Kyle Rowland sat down with Shelley Meyer, Urban’s wife, and wrote an in-depth piece about the life of Ohio State football’s first lady.
- New England Patriots and Michigan alum QB Tom Brady spoke to the Michigan football team this morning. Taylor Lewan compares himself to Ryan Gosling. Devin Gardner says Al Borges is great “except when he uses baseball analogies.” Brady Hoke thinks it would be awesome to play Ohio State twice this season.
- Max Bullough, Darqueze Dennard and Blake Treadwell were named 2013-14 Spartan captains. Michigan State has the best college football schedule poster, according to Bleacher Report. A few notes from Joe Rexrode as MSU breaks camp today.
- Video of Nebraska QB Taylor Martinez discussing the Cornhuskers. Bo Pelini says this group is a “true team.” Senior DT Thad Randle knows the Nebraska standard and is holding the rest of the line to it.
- Cornerbacks need to have a short memory and Daniel Jones has displayed that, writes Teddy Greenstein.
- USA Today’s Dan Wolken makes his way across the country and with stop seven, he’s in Madison. The people of Wisconsin are accepting Gary Andersen just fine.
- An Indiana football preview from an Iowan’s perspective. Kevin Wilson is working to make IU football relevant again, writes David Woods.
- Michael Rouse III is making the move from the defensive to the offensive line and keeping the same mentality. Episode two of the Boilermakers’ series, "One Brick Higher" is on YouTube. Video: Coach Darrell Hazell speaks to the media following Wednesday’s practice. Another video, but Purdue students made a rap video with football highlights and it is … awesome and terrifying ... or both.
- Even without too much live contact, PSU's defense feels confident, and other notes. Q&A with junior Adrian Amos. This season it’s less about NCAA sanctions questions and more football-centric for Bill O’Brien.
- The Gophers will need new players to contribute if they want to find success. A few notes from Minnesota’s Wednesday practice. Five things to know about Minnesota this season.
- A closer look at Iowa’s defensive line. Jake Rudock has separated himself as the No. 1 QB, but the game play will ultimately decide the starting QB. HawkeyeNation.com compiled the tweets of each BTN analyst when they made their stop in Iowa.
- Photos of the Illini team from media day were posted to the team's Facebook account. Scott Dochterman wonders how much patience Tim Beckman is really going to get. Jeremy Fowlers says the QB with the most potential for Illinois will not playing this season.
Michigan Investigated By Feds
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35