Big Ten lunchtime links
August, 5, 2013
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com
It's a terrible love, and I'm walking with spiders.
- Loren Tate looks at why Illinois football has struggled over the years. Aaron Bailey is not deterred by the arrival of Wes Lunt. Ten camp questions for the Illini.
- Linebackers are looking to step up for Indiana (subscription required). Kevin Wilson took his team on a paintball outing.
- Quarterback and receiver remain question marks as Iowa prepares to enter camp. A departing Hawkeye receiver was charged with driving while intoxicated.
- Five things to watch at Michigan's camp. The Wolverines should have plenty of position battles. Michigan has comfort in Brady Hoke's third year, and yet also a lot to prove.
- Curtis Blackwell talks about being the new Michigan State recruiting director. Offseason improvements have given the Spartans an edge. Mark Dantonio is mum on possible injuries.
- Minnesota running back Donnell Kirkwood is aiming for a major breakout year. Chris Streveler is no lock to win the Gophers No. 3 quarterback job. Improved athleticism is showing early in Minnesota practices.
- Can Nebraska's young defenders deal with the scrutiny that surrounds them? The Huskers are hoping to set off a scoring explosion similar to the 1983 Big Red machine. Bo Pelini's defense can succeed if he can solidify things up the gut.
- Kain Colter has opinions and gives Northwestern lots of options. The Wildcats are taking some corrective measures with their pass defense.
- Ohio State opened preseason practice on Sunday. Braxton Miller should have a lot more help on offense this season. Miller must take control of the Buckeyes' passing game. Ohio State has to fight overconfidence and complacency.
- Who will win Penn State's quarterback battle? Five camp questions for the Nittany Lions. Some PSU position battles to watch.
- Revenue sharing is the lifeblood for athletic departments at Purdue and Indiana. Dolapo Macarthy looked good in Purdue's first practice, but other receivers need to step it up for the Boilers. Purdue's defensive backs aim to be the best in the Big Ten.
- Ten questions for Wisconsin this preseason. The Badgers' offensive line coach demands toughness and leadership. Jeff Lewis is adjusting to his switch from running back to safety.
Blue Chip Battles: ESPN 300 Update
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
7:00 PM ET Eastern Illinois Minnesota 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State
8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 12:00 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois 12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana 12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa 12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan 12:00 PM ET Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 9:00 PM ET Wisconsin LSU