LSU Tigers: Zach West
- Texas A&M University System chancellor John Sharp defended Aggies quarterback Johnny Manziel and attacked NCAA regulations that prevent athletes from selling their signatures.
- It wasn’t exactly a surprise, but Missouri coach Gary Pinkel announced Thursday that James Franklin will be his starting quarterback for the Aug. 31 opener against Murray State.
- South Carolina’s coaching staff feels good about its situation at quarterback with Connor Shaw and Dylan Thompson as the season nears.
- After a couple of notable games in which it blew late leads last season, LSU will work more on closing out wins with its four-minute offense during preseason practice.
- Converted quarterback Kiehl Frazier is already showing off impressive physicality in Auburn’s secondary.
- Florida coach Will Muschamp emphasized that his staff is seeking bigger players on the recruiting trail.
- Tennessee’s players are buying into new coach Butch Jones’ many quirks.
- Kentucky offensive coordinator Neal Brown is rotating Zach Myers and Zach West at center to determine which player will start at center and be the “quarterback of the O-line” for the Wildcats.
- Freshman Alvin Kamara is out of Alabama’s running back competition for at least the next couple of weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.
- Safety Nick Glass on Thursday became Georgia’s fourth 2014 prospect to back off of his commitment to the Bulldogs.
Florida Gators, LSU Tigers, Alabama Crimson Tide, Georgia Bulldogs, Auburn Tigers, SEC, South Carolina Gamecocks, Tennessee Volunteers, Texas A&M Aggies, Kentucky Wildcats, Missouri Tigers, Connor Shaw, James Franklin, Will Muschamp, Kiehl Frazier, Nick Glass, Gary Pinkel, Alvin Kamara, Johnny Manziel, Dylan Thompson, Butch Jones, Neal Brown, Zach Myers, Zach West