LSU Tigers: Maurice Couch
September, 18, 2013
By Alex Scarborough | ESPN.com
It's Hump Day, and, no, I'm not going to shout it like an overly eager camel in a crowded office. Instead, I'll just note that we're halfway to another exciting week of college football and only a day away from No. 3 Clemson going up against North Carolina State.
- Cyrus Kouandjio says "people misunderstood" Alabama's offensive line after Game 1. But following an impressive showing this past weekend, it's safe to say no one is doubting them now.
- When Auburn and LSU meet this Saturday, it will be a battle of two of the best red-zone offenses in the SEC.
- Brandon Allen hasn't been ruled out yet, but Arkansas' players are rallying around backup quarterback AJ Derby as preparation for Rutgers begins.
- Johnny Manziel's improbable 12-yard heave for a first down against Alabama -- you know the play -- has given Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin a valuable teaching opportunity.
- With Mo Couch indefinitely ineligibile, a pair of Tennessee defensive tackles have a big chance ahead of them.
- Matt Jones looked good in his return to the football field against Miami, but Florida's starting tailback says he was still getting back into the groove. After a bye week to prepare, Jones is eager to get back to form this weekend.
- Mississippi State quarterback Dak Prescott was new to starting for the Bulldogs against Auburn, but he quickly found himself a favorite target in Joe Morrow.
- A buzzsaw awaits Ole Miss after a terrific start to the season.
- Kentucky quarterback Maxwell Smith's much talked about shoulder seems to be healing well and he should be good to go against Florida.
- The numbers are bad. Georgia's run defense is truly a work in progress.
- Les Miles says preparation is key for LSU's defense when it goes up against Auburn's uptempo attack this weekend.
A little lunchtime reading from around the SEC:
- Alabama offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier isn't saying much about the Crimson Tide's quarterback situation beyond A.J. McCarron.
- Georgia running back Todd Gurley says he's just concerned with getting better.
- Georgia defensive back Connor Norman will again rescue the Bulldogs' secondary.
- Auburn's C.J. Uzomah is playing four different positions so far in camp.
- Florida running back Mack Brown says he's ready to fill in as the Gators' top tailback with the indefinite absence of Matt Jones because of a viral illness.
- Almost all of the LSU players reported for camp on Sunday. There were two notable exceptions.
- Mississippi State lost its top four pass catchers from 2012. Jameon Lewis and Taveze Calhoun are leading the pack as replacements.
- Ole Miss has lost receiver Vince Sanders for six weeks because of a broken collarbone. He was the Rebels' second-leading receiver last season.
- Tennessee is getting three key players back from injury this season: linebacker Curt Maggitt, defensive tackle Maurice Couch, and safety Brian Randolph.
- Things were a little lighthearted at Vanderbilt. The upperclassmen and freshmen had a sing-off battle with the school's fight song.
- Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel needs football in the worst way right now.
Ranking the new SEC defensive coordinators
TBD San Josť St Auburn TBD Ole Miss Florida TBD Alabama Georgia TBD Eastern Kentucky Kentucky TBD Eastern Michigan LSU TBD Vanderbilt Middle Tennessee TBD South Carolina Missouri TBD Arkansas Tennessee TBD Mississippi State Texas A&M