SEC lunchtime links
- The SEC announced on Sunday evening that it is sticking to eight conference games and the 6-1-1 format, with a new requirement for playing a nonconference game against a power five conference team mixed in. The announcement means many key rivalries involving cross-division teams will survive.
- Quarterback play has been a point of emphasis in spring football for Arkansas. Unfortunately for the Razorbacks, quarterback Brandon Allen and the offense struggled when throwing the ball during the Red-White spring game on Saturday in Fayetteville, Ark.
- One of the touchdowns in the Razorbacks' spring game was scored by a special guest: Canaan Sandy. The 31-year-old lifelong Arkansas football fan who has Down Syndrome got the memory of a lifetime on a touchdown run.
- Kentucky's "Air Raid" offense may bring passing to mind first, but it was the running backs who had the big day in the Blue-White spring game on Saturday in Lexington, Ky., as Josh Clemons (93 yards) and Jojo Kemp (90 yards) led a quartet of backs who combined for 308 yards and four touchdowns.
- Back to the scheduling front, LSU athletic director Joe Alleva voiced his displeasure in the league's decision to keep a permanent cross-division rival because of the competitive imbalance that results, including the Tigers playing Florida each year. "We share all the revenue and expenses yet we cannot have a balanced, fair, equitable schedule," Alleva said.
- Vanderbilt athletic director David Williams said he's welcoming the SEC's scheduling format, particularly when it comes to nonconference opponents.
- Ole Miss and Mississippi State both have work to do for future schedules when it comes to adding nonconference opponents that fill the power-five requirement. Mississippi State athletic director Scott Stricklin said, "It's not like shopping at the grocery store. You have to go and find someone who thinks you're a good match, too."
- A Q&A with Georgia signee Lorenzo Carter, who said he almost signed with LSU before choosing the Bulldogs on national signing day.
- There's a little bit of mystery surrounding the assault charges involving Texas A&M defensive end Gavin Stansbury, who was arrested and later released on those charges earlier this month.
Florida Gators, LSU Tigers, Alabama Crimson Tide, Georgia Bulldogs, Arkansas Razorbacks, Auburn Tigers, Mississippi Rebels, SEC, Vanderbilt Commodores, Mississippi State Bulldogs, Ole Miss Rebels, Texas A&M Aggies, Kentucky Wildcats, Josh Clemons, Joe Alleva, Brandon Allen, Gavin Stansbury, Lorenzo Carter, David Williams, Scott Stricklin
GEAUXTIGERNATION RECRUITING NEWS
LSU FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Glenn Guilbeau retweeted
- Glenn Guilbeau retweeted
2014 SEC STANDINGS
12:00 PM ET UAB Arkansas 3:30 PM ET 1 Mississippi State Kentucky 4:00 PM ET Vanderbilt Missouri 7:15 PM ET 3 Ole Miss 24 LSU 7:30 PM ET South Carolina 5 Auburn 7:30 PM ET 4 Alabama Tennessee