SEC lunch links
March, 28, 2014
By Jeff Barlis | ESPN.com
While college basketball teams are punching their tickets to the Elite Eight, the SEC's best quarterback of the last two seasons might have cemented his position as an elite talent in the NFL draft.
- You might have heard a little something about Johnny Manziel's pro day workout in front of the entire NFL and a national cable TV audience. The consensus was that it went really well for Johnny Football. Afterward, Manziel had dinner with the Houston Texans, who hold the No. 1 overall pick. He also is expected to meet with the Jaguars, Raiders and Buccaneers -- all picking in the top seven. Whatever happens, it's clear that Manziel has crossed over into the rare air of a pop-culture icon. His performance predictably sent Twitter into a tizzy.
- Vanderbilt associate athletic director Rod Williamson said VU has been and will continue to monitor the Northwestern football unionization case. The NLRB ruling applies only to private schools. Coach Derek Mason thinks it means changes are coming for college football, but he'd rather not speculate on what they might be.
- One South Carolina Gamecock already sees himself as a school employee, and coach Steve Spurrier says he "can see their point, a little bit." Spurrier is a longtime proponent of increasing player stipends.
- There is no law in the state of Tennessee allowing public university employees to unionize ... for now.
- Kentucky opens spring practice on Friday, and the Cats expect a boost from their redshirt players.
- Six of Athlon's top 15 wide receivers on the rise for 2014 hail from the SEC, with Auburn's Sammie Coates high on the list. The Tigers have one less receiver, as Trovon Reed moves to cornerback this spring.
- Florida offensive coordinator Kurt Roper gushed over how quickly QB Jeff Driskel is learning the new offense.
- LSU coach Les Miles has no qualms about recruiting middle schoolers.
- Missouri coach Gary Pinkel likes his QB competition, saying of Maty Mauk: "He's the starter right now."
- Vandy's Mason anticipates a "baptism by fire" in his first season in the SEC. The Nashville Predators will take it a little easier on Mason when they officially welcome him at their game on Sunday.
- With the departure of C.J. Mosley, Alabama has a huge void at linebacker. Junior Denzel Devall is excited about the Tide's new identity. Another linebacker, Josh Dickerson, made waves during his spring break when he dunked on his grandmother.
- Are Georgia's linebackers, with all four starters returning, the best in the SEC?
- Hey, remember ol' Ed Orgeron, the former Rebels coach? He resurfaced this week as the featured speaker at Mississippi State's coaching clinic.
- South Carolina safety Brison Williams is preparing to move to cornerback where the Gamecocks are thin.
- Ole Miss WR Quincy Adeboyejo is moving inside to slot receiver.
Coach Chiz's Film Room: Week 1
Final 21 Texas A&M 52 9 South Carolina 28 Final Boise State 13 18 Ole Miss 35 Final Temple 37 Vanderbilt 7
Suspended Idaho 0 Florida 0
Final Tennessee-Martin 14 Kentucky 59 Final South Dakota State 18 24 Missouri 38 Final West Virginia 23 2 Alabama 33 Final Arkansas 21 6 Auburn 45 Final 16 Clemson 21 12 Georgia 45 Final Southern Miss 0 Mississippi State 49 Final 14 Wisconsin 24 13 LSU 28