SEC lunchtime links
February, 24, 2014
By Alex Scarborough | ESPN.com
Forty-yard dash times and bench-press figures. Measuring height and weight down to the seventh of an inch. It's the annual meat-market bonanza known as the NFL combine and it came to you fast and furious throughout the weekend. When you're done scrolling through the day's SEC links, be sure to check out the rest of ESPN's NFL draft coverage at our combine headquarters.
- AJ McCarron threw the ball well, Kevin Norwood ran better than expected and Cyrus Kouandjio failed to impress while also leaving with medical concerns. Alabama sent the most representatives to the combine and, as always, there were mixed returns from the top stars.
- Auburn sent a small contingent of players to the combine, but they made an impression. Tre Mason put up a 4.5-second 40-yard dash and Dee Ford made waves by declaring he's better than Jadeveon Clowney.
- Bret Bielema said in a released statement that his remarks on a recently deceased Cal football player, as it relates to the hurry-up no-huddle debate, were "unintentionally hurtful."
- Mark Richt went all of 2013 without a recruiting coordinator on staff. In speaking with the AJC, Richt explained why now is the right time for the Bulldogs to bring back someone for the coveted position.
- Former LSU wideout Jarvis Landry didn't do himself any favors when he clocked the slowest 40-yard dash time of any receiver at the combine. Given his highlight reel tape in college and the chance to improve his time at LSU's pro day, Landry might not be in too deep a hole, though.
- Former South Carolina cornerback Vic Hampton can't figure out why the NFL is sleeping on his quarterback, Connor Shaw. Asked why people are doubting Shaw's ability to translate to the pros, Hampton shot back, "Why?" and then explained that Shaw was "the toughest quarterback in the SEC" and a "winner."
- With spring football right around the corner, David Morrison ranked the size of each SEC program's rebuilding job for this coming season.
- Johnny Manziel's throwing coach George Whitfield has a bit of advice for NFL franchises concerning his client: "Don't lose sight of what and who he is. The dude's a world-beater."
- Student attendance has become a concern for Florida. Losing, obviously, could have contributed to the empty seats inside The Swamp, but that doesn't mean the Gators administration isn't looking into it.
- The plans for a stadium expansion at Ole Miss could come into view soon as the school has hired an architect to devise a plan that should culminate in a face lift and more seats at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.
- Anyone who watched Missouri last season knew that Henry Josey could fly. The former Tigers' running back proved it at the NFL combine, running the third-best time in the 40-yard dash at 4.43 seconds, greatly helping himself in the process.
Mettenberger's Rehab Ahead Of Schedule
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35