SEC lunchtime links
December, 18, 2013
By Alex Scarborough | ESPN.com
And we've got an early leader in the clubhouse for the best rant of the college basketball season. Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson found another gear during a post-game press conference, calling out his players, claiming there was a sniper in the gym and even mixing in a few hilarious notes about his marriage. It's a good one and it's only a few minutes, so give it a listen.
- Alabama starting right guard Anthony Steen is likely to miss the Sugar Bowl after having surgery on his shoulder. On Tuesday, Nick Saban gave an idea who might fill in for the veteran against Oklahoma.
- Auburn's a one-dimensional offense? Perish the thought, says Nick Marshall. The Tigers' quarterback is motivated by those who claim all Auburn can do is run. But, to be fair, even if it is one-dimensional, it's been better than a lot of 2-D or 3-D offenses this year.
- Without assistant coach Charlie Partridge, Alex Collins may have never left South Florida for Arkansas where he became a breakout hit as a freshman running back. Patridge has flown the coop to become the next head coach at FAU, but Arkansas coach Bret Bielema remains optimistic, saying it's, "an opportunity to get better."
- In one of the strangest stories you'll read this year, Georgia receiver Chris Conley is planning a "Star Wars" lightsaber duel film, with Todd Gurley set to star in a supporting role. It's incredibly nerdy and incredibly awesome.
- Florida will have some more competition at kicker next season as former Virginia Tech Hokie and Army All-American Brooks Abbott is transferring to Gainesville in June.
- The mass exodus of juniors leaving early for the NFL draft after last season killed LSU. But this year Les Miles says he doesn't expect the same fleeing of Baton Rouge.
- Josh Henson thinks Missouri's offense needs to get better. Yes, you read that right. The Tigers' offensive coordinator saw how good James Franklin and Co. were against Auburn and throughout the regular season, but still he sees room for improvement. In fact, he said, "If we would have converted half those third downs, heck, we might have scored 50 points and won the game."
Mettenberger's Rehab Ahead Of Schedule
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35