SEC lunchtime links
November, 19, 2013
By Sam Khan Jr. | ESPN.com
Plenty of goings-on in the SEC today. Let's dive right into it:
- Alabama's offensive line is hard at work trying to rectify issues it had communicating on Saturday against Mississippi State. Starting center Ryan Kelly said plainly, "We dropped the ball on communication."
- Team of destiny? That undermines what this year's Auburn team has accomplished, as the Tigers have made their own breaks.
- He's back...say hello to James Franklin, Missouri fans. The senior quarterback, who has missed four games because of a shoulder injury, is 100 percent cleared to play and will play on Saturday vs. Ole Miss.
- South Carolina kicker Elliot Fry, a walk-on, is close to shedding that label and becoming a scholarship player and also had a special visitor in attendance on Saturday to watch the Gamecocks beat Florida.
- There's a lot on the line left for Texas A&M, which has two tough games remaining, starting with Saturday at LSU.
- The challenge LSU has at hand? Slowing down Johnny Manziel. The Tigers did it a year ago, they hope they can repeat that feat.
- Ole Miss has defeated a team ranked in the top 10 once this season (LSU was No. 6 when the Rebels squeaked out a 27-24 victory) and now the Rebels hope to do it again when they host No. 8 Missouri.
- A glance at Aaron Murray's legacy at Georgia, how it's viewed and where he ranks among all-time Georgia quarterbacks.
- Tight end is an area where Tennessee hasn't had a ton of production this season.
- Mississippi State's quarterback situation is murky as both Tyler Russell and Dak Prescott are "day-to-day" according to coach Dan Mullen.
- Florida coach Will Muschamp said he's appreciative of the support athletic director Jeremy Foley and school president Bernie Machen voiced for him last week.
- Kentucky head coach Mark Stoops has his eye on the future with the Wildcats struggling at 2-8, but he isn't forsaking the present.
- Even after beating Tennessee last year, Vanderbilt coach James Franklin said he won't call the Commodores game against the Volunteers "a rivalry" until the Commodores are more successful in the series.
Intriguing SEC bowl games
1:48 3rd Qtr North Carolina State 31 UCF 13 Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State