Mississippi State held on for a tight, 28-22 victory over Kentucky for its first SEC victory Thursday and that got things started in Week 9 of SEC play. We'll start with a couple takes from the game before delving into the rest of the talking points heading into the rest of the weekend in SEC football:
- Mississippi State needed a late fourth down stop and got it in order to hold on for the victory over Kentucky.
- Last night's loss was an opportunity for Kentucky quarterback Maxwell Smith, but it was one he didn't take advantage of.
- Alabama has been in control of its rivalry game against Tennessee for much of the last decade, but the Volunteers recent success is adding some juice to the game, and it's needed.
- Speaking of Alabama, freshman defensive lineman Dee Liner could lose his redshirt and see his first action for the Crimson Tide on Saturday.
- Meanwhile, the Volunteers are a confident bunch, even referring to the Crimson Tide as "the red team" rather than their name.
- Missouri running back Henry Josey has been through a lot when it comes to knee injuries. So going down briefly last week against Florida was a little scary, but he and the Tigers are glad he's OK.
- Auburn coach Gus Malzahn has a knack for blending a mixed bag of veterans, newcomers and more and that's been key to the Tigers' dramatic turnaround this year.
- LSU players are frustrated after a loss at Ole Miss last week and they plan to take out those frustrations on FCS foe Furman.
- South Carolina quarterback Dylan Thompson has been in Connor Shaw's shadow but now Thompson will be in the spotlight when the Gamecocks take on No. 5 Missouri.
- SEC quarterbacks are becoming the gold standard for the position in college football this season.
- Missouri's defensive line has played a key role in the Tigers' success this year.
Mettenberger's Rehab Ahead Of Schedule
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35