SEC lunchtime links
October, 25, 2013
By Sam Khan Jr. | ESPN.com
Mississippi State held on for a tight, 28-22 victory over Kentucky for its first SEC victory Thursday and that got things started in Week 9 of SEC play. We'll start with a couple takes from the game before delving into the rest of the talking points heading into the rest of the weekend in SEC football:
- Mississippi State needed a late fourth down stop and got it in order to hold on for the victory over Kentucky.
- Last night's loss was an opportunity for Kentucky quarterback Maxwell Smith, but it was one he didn't take advantage of.
- Alabama has been in control of its rivalry game against Tennessee for much of the last decade, but the Volunteers recent success is adding some juice to the game, and it's needed.
- Speaking of Alabama, freshman defensive lineman Dee Liner could lose his redshirt and see his first action for the Crimson Tide on Saturday.
- Meanwhile, the Volunteers are a confident bunch, even referring to the Crimson Tide as "the red team" rather than their name.
- Missouri running back Henry Josey has been through a lot when it comes to knee injuries. So going down briefly last week against Florida was a little scary, but he and the Tigers are glad he's OK.
- Auburn coach Gus Malzahn has a knack for blending a mixed bag of veterans, newcomers and more and that's been key to the Tigers' dramatic turnaround this year.
- LSU players are frustrated after a loss at Ole Miss last week and they plan to take out those frustrations on FCS foe Furman.
- South Carolina quarterback Dylan Thompson has been in Connor Shaw's shadow but now Thompson will be in the spotlight when the Gamecocks take on No. 5 Missouri.
- SEC quarterbacks are becoming the gold standard for the position in college football this season.
- Missouri's defensive line has played a key role in the Tigers' success this year.
GEAUXTIGERNATION RECRUITING NEWS
LSU FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- LSUsports.net retweeted
2014 SEC STANDINGS
12:00 PM ET Florida Atlantic 2 Alabama 12:00 PM ET 24 Missouri Toledo 12:00 PM ET Arkansas State Tennessee 2:00 PM ET UAB Mississippi State 3:30 PM ET Ohio Kentucky 4:00 PM ET Eastern Michigan Florida 4:00 PM ET Nicholls State Arkansas 4:30 PM ET 15 Ole Miss Vanderbilt 7:00 PM ET East Carolina 21 South Carolina 7:00 PM ET San Jose State 5 Auburn 7:30 PM ET Sam Houston State 12 LSU 7:30 PM ET Lamar 9 Texas A&M