Friday, April 19, 2013
IMG 7v7 SE Regional: 5 things to watch
By Derek Tyson
The IMG 7v7 Southeast Regional Championship in Bradenton, Fla., on Saturday and Sunday will feature several ESPN 150 players. This star-studded event will feature the South Florida Express, one of the top 7-on-7 teams in the country, and Team Tampa, which won the IMG 7v7 National Championships last year. Here's a look at five things to watch at this weekends events.
1. Wide receiver position is loaded
Homestead, Fla., wide receiver Ermon Lane will be one of several top prospects participating in the IMG 7v7 Southeast Regional Championship.
There will be a plethora of top wide receivers in Bradenton this weekend. Ermon Lane (Homestead, Fla./Homestead), the No. 1-ranked wide receiver in the country, will have a chance to showcase his abilities against some elite talent. Additionally, Travis Rudolph (West Palm Beach, Fla./Cardinal Newman), Artavis Scott (Tarpon Springs, Fla./East Lake), Moral Stephens (Perry, Fla./Taylor County), Kenric Young (Gainesville, Fla./Gainesville), Isaiah Ford (Jacksonville, Fla./Trinity Christian), Garrett Johnson (Winter Garden, Fla./West Orange) and 2015 wideout Da'Vante Phillips (Miami/Central) are scheduled to participate.
2. Michel nearing decision Talented running back Sony Michel (Plantation, Fla./American Heritage) is set to make his announcment on April 26. The No. 16-ranked player in the country has a top five of Georgia, Florida State, Florida, Miami and Notre Dame. Everyone knows about his skills as a runner, but this will be a good opportunity to see how Michel produces as a pass-catcher. It will also be interesting to see if Michel tips his hand as to where he will attend college.
3. Top DBs on hand There will be no shortage of wide receivers at IMG, but pass-catching will be no easy task as there will be several big-time defensive backs with something to prove. Cornerback Chris Lammons (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla./Plantation), the No. 81-ranked athlete in the country, leads the list of top DBs participating. Along with Lammons, Quincy Wilson (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla./University School), Duke Dawson (Cross City, Fla./Dixie Co.), safeties Kyle Gibson (Seffner, Fla./Armwood) and TJ Harrell (Tampa, Fla./Tampa Catholic) and 2015 cornerback Tyrek Cole (Miramar, Fla./Miramar) will compete.
4. How will the linebackers perform? Typically, seven-on-seven events aren't the easiest events for linebackers to showcase their skills, but ESPN 150 linebacker Kain Daub (Jacksonville, Fla./Sandalwood) will look to prove, at 236 pounds, that he can be an every-down linebacker and do well against the pass. Along with Daub, outside linebacker Richard Yeargin III (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla./University School) will have the opportunity to put his coverage skills on display.
5. Down year for QBs Overall, this might be a down year for top quarterbacks in Florida, but there are still a few good ones playing at IMG this weekend. South Florida Express quarterback Sean White (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla./University School) and D.J. Gillins (Jacksonville, Fla./Eagles View) will likely be the top signal-callers in the tournament. The four-star White has offers from West Virginia, USF, Boston College, Wake Forest and Syracuse, while Gillins has offers from Kentucky, Texas Tech and UNC.