Monday, November 5, 2012
The Georgia 10: Week 10 power rankings
By David Ching
ATHENS, Ga. -- The top of the board remains the same in this week’s Georgia power rankings, but receivers Malcolm Mitchell and Marlon Brown and cornerback Damian Swann made their moves with big games as the Bulldogs defeated Ole Miss 37-10 on Saturday.
The win helped the Bulldogs move into position to claim a second straight SEC East title with a win at Auburn this Saturday.
Here is the full list after nine games (last week’s rank in parentheses):
1. Jarvis Jones (1): Following Jones’ dynamic performance in the Bulldogs’ upset win against Florida last week, Ole Miss sent a lot of blocking attention his way. He still made three tackles and a tackle for a 5-yard loss -- adding to his team-high 15 TFLs and keeping him in the SEC lead with 2.14 per game.
2. Aaron Murray (2): Murray rebounded from an up-and-down outing against Florida with a phenomenal game against Ole Miss (21-for-28 for 384 yards, four touchdowns, no interceptions). After the Rebels sacked Murray for the fifth time late in the first half, he went 14-for-16 for 225 yards and three touchdowns the rest of the way.
3. Todd Gurley (3): Gurley’s tough running once again came in handy as the Bulldogs were able to wear down Ole Miss’ depth-deprived defense. The freshman tailback broke a 31-yard run in the fourth quarter to go over the 100-yard mark for the sixth time this season. He finished with 117 yards on 18 carries, although he did lose his first fumble of the season in the second quarter.
4. Alec Ogletree (6): Ogletree doesn’t always make the safe play, but he is consistently in the middle of the action because of his speed and athleticism. He led the Bulldogs with 11 tackles against Ole Miss -- the eighth time in the last 10 games in which he played that he was Georgia’s top tackler -- and also had a sack, two tackles for a loss and his first career interception.
5. Malcolm Mitchell (8): Mitchell’s transition back to full-time work at receiver seems to be moving along nicely. He had three catches, including a 42-yard touchdown, for 55 yards against the Rebels.
6. Marlon Brown (10): Brown posted his third 100-yard outing of the season, thanks in large part to his 66-yard touchdown catch on a perfectly executed “rooskie” pass. The senior wideout also made a key third-down catch to keep a Georgia drive alive before leaving the game with a knee injury in the third quarter.
7. John Jenkins (4): Battling an ankle sprain, Jenkins had a fairly quiet outing against Ole Miss after a standout performance the week prior against Florida. He finished with one tackle against the Rebels.
8. Shawn Williams (5): Williams notched four tackles against Ole Miss, including a 1-yard sack. He also broke up a pass.
9. Tavarres King (7): King’s streak of 22 consecutive games with a catch ended a week ago against Florida. He had only one reception against Ole Miss, but he made it count. With time running out on the first half, he caught a 40-yard touchdown pass from Murray that gave Georgia a 14-10 lead at halftime.
10. Damian Swann (NR): Swann creeps onto the list for the first time after having a hand in more turnover plays against Ole Miss. The sophomore cornerback forced a fumble with a sack and also intercepted a pass against Florida. Then he recovered two fumbles -- one of which he returned for 53 yards -- against Ole Miss and also notched a sack and a pass breakup.