SEC lunchtime links
May, 16, 2014
By Sam Khan Jr. | ESPN.com
The weekend is almost here. Before you take off, take a minute to peruse the news and notes from around the league in Friday's links, which include some Nick Saban video, early signing period and playoff talk, transfer news and more.
- If you haven't seen it by now, here's Alabama coach Nick Saban using some salty language under his breath in response to a question about former West Virginia quarterback Pat White's claim that Alabama offered him a Corvette to sign with the Crimson Tide (Saban was coaching LSU at the time).
- The ACC recommended that football move to an early signing period in recruiting, tabbing Aug. 1 as a potential date. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said he would be surprised if such a measure was implemented.
- With the College Football Playoff beginning this year, the chance to have two SEC teams making up the four-team field is a real possibility.
- South Carolina tight end/linebacker Kelvin Rainey is transferring out of the program and will head to a junior college for a season.
- Tennessee coach Butch Jones is excited to welcome fresh faces, including talented true freshmen, into his program, but the challenge is also getting those young players ready to contribute.
- More schools are exploring the idea of selling beer at their stadiums during games. Alabama's Bill Battle said the Crimson Tide will monitor it but won't be leading the charge.
- SEC East: Georgia or South Carolina?
- Former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel sent the Cleveland Browns brass an interesting text message during his wait to be selected in the NFL draft.
DAWGNATION RECRUITING NEWS
GEORGIA FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Nike Youth Georgia Bulldogs White #3 Football Game Jersey
2014 SEC STANDINGS
TBD Bowling Green Tennessee TBD Wisconsin Alabama TBD UTEP Arkansas TBD Louisville Auburn TBD New Mexico State Florida TBD Louisiana-Monroe Georgia TBD Louisiana-Lafayette Kentucky TBD McNeese State LSU TBD Southeast Missouri State Missouri TBD Tennessee-Martin Ole Miss TBD Mississippi State Southern Miss TBD Arizona State Texas A&M TBD Western Kentucky Vanderbilt