SEC lunchtime links
January, 20, 2014
By Alex Scarborough | ESPN.com
After this weekend, all the underclassmen who wanted to go to the NFL are officially gone. Now begins the hectic final push in the recruiting season. Nick Saban did the electric slide, Lane Kiffin sang karaoke and that's just the nonsense going on at Alabama to impress recruits. Signing day is Feb. 5, so strap in tight because things could get really weird before it's all said and done.
- Alabama running back Alvin Kamara took to Twitter to confirm his intention to transfer, including some background information while he was at it.
- Patrick Miller started 14 games in two seasons at Auburn before an off-the-field issue led to him losing his job at right tackle to Greg Robinson. After watching Robinson develop into an NFL prospect and the Tigers reach the VIZIO BCS National Championship, Miller has plenty of motivation to not let the same mistakes undo him this time around.
- Chris Smith says it will feel good to wear the Arkansas Razorbacks helmet one last time at the Senior Bowl. Though his season didn't end the way he or his teammates had wanted, the talented defensive end has a chance to put on a good show in Mobile, Ala., and earn himself a better draft grade.
- Steve Spurrier may avoid a quarterback competition after all. South Carolina's coach made no bones about it when he said that Dylan Thompson is "without question going to be our quarterback."
- Gary Pinkel is turning the page at Missouri. "The cycle begins again," he said, and that starts with recruiting and development.
- Georgia escaped the NFL draft early-entry deadline without a single underclassman turning pro early. That's good news for the Bulldogs, especially when they look around their schedule next season and see how their opponents didn't have the same luck.
- James Franklin's departure from Vanderbilt won't be the football program's demise, writes David Climer. He sees new coach Derek Mason improving on Franklin's success and putting his own stamp on the program.
Dawgs Continue Class Rankings Climb
6:00 PM ET 21 Texas A&M 9 South Carolina 8:00 PM ET Boise State 18 Ole Miss 9:15 PM ET Temple Vanderbilt
12:00 PM ET Tennessee-Martin Kentucky 3:30 PM ET South Dakota State 24 Missouri 3:30 PM ET West Virginia 2 Alabama 4:00 PM ET Arkansas 6 Auburn 5:30 PM ET 16 Clemson 12 Georgia 7:00 PM ET Idaho Florida 7:30 PM ET Southern Miss Mississippi State 9:00 PM ET 14 Wisconsin 13 LSU