Sad to see Carlos Ruiz and Roy Halladay likely won't be back in Philly. They teamed up for the best sports event I’ve ever covered.
- Jimbo Fisher won’t say whether he was responsible for one of the three first-place votes Florida State received in the USA Today Coaches Poll, writes the Orlando Sentinel.
- After FSU’s big win over Miami, Fisher is getting some encouraging feedback from recruits, writes Tomahawk Nation.
- Brent Venables likes the direction of Clemson’s defense after it handled Virginia, writes TigerNet.com.
- With Duke Johnson’s season over, Dallas Crawford is eager to pick up the slack at tailback, writes the Miami Herald.
- Logan Thomas has coughed up the football eight times during Virginia Tech’s consecutive losses, but his job isn’t in jeopardy, writes the Richmond Times-Dispatch. For the season, Thomas is responsible for 14 of the Hokies’ 15 turnovers (12 interceptions, two fumbles).
- After another surprising win, Boston College QB Chase Rettig is quieting the doubters with his solid play, writes The Heights. Rettig has floated beneath the radar a bit because of Andre Williams’ big season, but he’s thrown just four INTs all year (after throwing 13 in 2012).
- From the Rumble Seat digs deeper into the box score after Georgia Tech’s decisive win over Pittsburgh.
- At Pitt, however, big questions loom for an offense that appears to have lost its way, writes The Post-Gazette. In its first three games against FBS teams, Pitt averaged 40 points and 474 yards of offense. In its last four, it's averaged 13 points and 244 yards of offense.
- In what has been something of a season-long storyline, the quarterback position is still a question mark at NC State, writes the Charlotte Observer.
- Syracuse credits a rousing speech from Donovan McNabb as inspiration before a win over Wake Forest, writes The Post-Standard.
- Virginia will be without cornerback Demetrious Nicholson for the remainder of the season, writes the Roanoke Times.
Five Programs Expecting 2014 Boost
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35