Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Top five remaining targets
By Derek Tyson
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- One week remains until national signing day and the Gators have their sights set on roughly nine to 12 prospects. Florida has 26 verbal commitments, and with only a few spots remaining, here's a look at the top five prospects who have a chance to be a part of Florida's class.
1. DT Jay-nard Bostwick (Port St. Lucie, Fla./West Centennial) -- The 6-foot-4, 250-pound defensive tackle has taken official visits to Alabama and Miami (Fla.). Florida has a need at tackle and has made Bostwick a priority. With Florida having his last official visit this weekend, the Gators appear to be in a good positon to land Bostwick.
Florida has gone all out to try to flip Nashville, Tenn., cornerback Jalen Ramsey from
2. CB Jalen Ramsey (Brentwood, Tenn./Brentwood Academy) -- The USC defensive back commit has also taken official visits to FSU and Florida. Ramsey enjoyed his FSU visit and the Seminoles are very much in the picture. Ramsey has a great relationship with Florida defensive back commit Nick Washington and wide receiver Demarcus Robinson. Ramsey's recruitment will likely go down to the wire.
3. WR James Clark (New Smyrna Beach, Fla./New Smyrna Beach) -- The talented wide receiver has taken official visits to Ohio State and Clemson without committing to either school. He will take an unofficial visit to Florida this weekend and announce his decision on signing day. Like Bostwick, the Gators appear to be in good shape for the speedy wideout.
4. OLB Quinton Powell (Daytona Beach, Fla./Mainland) -- Powell had a great visit to USC and is down to the Trojans and Gators. He tweeted early in the week that he had a good in-home visit with Florida head coach Will Muschamp and said his decision will be a tough one. At this point it looks like it could go either way.
5. QB Tanner McEvoy (Hillsdale, N.J./Arizona Western College) -- When quarterback Jacoby Brissett decided to transfer to NC State, the Gators decided they wanted to make a run at a quarterback with some experience. McEvoy is a new name to the board, and the Gators will try and play catch up for him. The junior college quarterback will take an official visit this weekend. Wisconsin, Oregon and West Virginia are also in the mix.
DE Robert Nkemdiche (Loganville, Ga./Grayson), DT Jarran Reed (Goldsboro, N.C./East Mississippi CC), WR Ryan Timmons (Frankfort, Ky./Franklin Co.), DE Tashawn Bower (Somerville, N.J./Immaculatta) and FB Kennard Swanson (Lakeland, Fla./Lake Gibson) -- Florida is very much in the picture for all five of these players and a case could be made for any one of them to be in the top five.
Nkemdiche loved his visit to Florida and the Gators appear to be in second place, but his family ties to Ole Miss will likely be too much in the end. With Reed taking a visit to Alabama this past weekend, he moved slightly down the list. Timmons seems to favoring Kentucky, and if the Gators can land Clark, Timmons won't be in Florida's class. Bower hasn't really tipped his hand as to where he will go, but the Gators will continue to pursue the talented defensive end. Swanson has grades issues, and the Gators might have a decision to make if they think he might not qualify.