- Mike DiRocco, ESPN Staff Writer
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Which Florida players are making the biggest contributions on the field?
GatorNation will tell you every week. It’s not just a list of MVP candidates, but a compilation of the players who are making the biggest difference each week.
Here’s this week’s top 10 (last week’s rankings in parentheses):
1. QB Jeff Driskel (NR): Any time you break one of Tim Tebow’s records, you’ve done something special. Driskel rushed for 177 yards -- the most by a UF quarterback, eclipsing Tebow’s mark of 166 (Ole Miss, 2007) -- and three touchdowns. One of his TDs was a 70-yarder in which he out-ran several defensive backs. He also threw for 77 yards.
2. LB Jon Bostic (10): Another big week for Bostic, with a sack, a forced fumble and a QB hurry. Bostic sacked Vandy QB Jordan Rodgers and forced a fumble that LB Neiron Ball recovered at the Vandy 14-yard line. The Gators turned that into three points and a 21-7 lead. Bostic also had five tackles.
4. S Josh Evans (NR): When he wasn’t getting hurt, Evans was playing solid football. He had six tackles and a sack, which turned out to be a huge play because it forced the Commodores into trying a 44-yard field goal that was blocked. Evans twice left the field with injuries.
5. DE Earl Okine (NR): The 6-foot-7, 287-pound redshirt senior didn’t record a tackle, but he made one of the game’s biggest plays when he blocked Carey Spear’s 44-yard field goal attempt in the third quarter. That set up a touchdown.
6. WR Solomon Patton (NR): Like Okine, Patton didn’t do much except for on special teams. He took a fake punt 54 yards to set up a touchdown in the third quarter. That was the only time Patton touched the ball on Saturday.
7. WR/KR Andre Debose (NR): Finally, a big play from Debose. He took a kickoff back 60 yards midway through the fourth quarter, a play that muted the momentum Vandy had built up on an 11-play, 75-yard touchdown drive to cut UF’s lead to 21-14. Debose set the Gators up on the Vandy 37, and Caleb Sturgis kicked a 26-yard field goal six plays later to extend the Gators’ lead to 10 points.
1dSam Khan Jr.
3dSam Khan Jr.