- Mike DiRocco, ESPN Jacksonville Jaguars reporter
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Which Florida players are making the biggest contributions on the field?
GatorNation will tell you every week. It’s not just a list of MVP candidates, but a compilation of the players who are making the biggest difference each week.
Here’s this week’s top 10 (last week’s rankings in parentheses):
1. QB Jeff Driskel (2): Driskel takes over the top spot after putting together the best performance of his career. He completed 14 of 20 passes for a career-high 219 yards and two touchdowns, plus he ran for a career-high 81 yards on eight carries. He was poised in the pocket and made several great throws under pressure – notably a TD pass to TE Jordan Reed and a 17-yard completion to WR Solomon Patton just before stepping out of bounds.
2. RB/TE Trey Burton (NR): Burton was MIA the first two weeks but had a monster performance against Tennessee: three carries for 91 yards and two touchdowns and two catches for 38 yards. Burton scored both of his TDs out of the wildcat formation. The 80-yarder showcased some speed not many people knew he had.
3. RB Mike Gillislee (No. 1): Despite being bothered by a groin strain, Gillislee rushed for 115 yards on 18 carries. He had runs of 45 and 33 yards. He continues to lead the SEC in rushing (346 yards).
5. TE Jordan Reed (3): Reed caught a team-high five passes for 60 yards and one touchdown, and he also delivered a key block to help Driskel avoid a sack and complete a 32-yard pass to Burton.
6. WR Frankie Hammond (NR): Hammond had just one catch, but it was a huge one: a 75-yard catch-and-run for a touchdown that essentially sealed UF’s victory in the fourth quarter.
7. S Matt Elam (NR): Elam intercepted one pass, recorded a sack, and led the Gators with 10 tackles. He had his hands full on pass coverage but held his own and delivered a couple big plays.
8. K Caleb Sturgis (8): Sturgis kicked three field goals (20, 25 and 49 yards) and had six touchbacks on seven kickoffs.
9. P Kyle Christy (6): Christy booted three punts of 50 or more yards to help the Gators flip field position.
10. WR Solomon Patton (NR): Patton ran three times for 34 yards (all on jet sweeps) and caught one pass for 17 yards. His role in the offense is increasing weekly.
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Which Florida players are making the biggest contributions on the field?GatorNation will tell you every week. It’s not just a list of MVP candidates, but a compilation of the players who are making the biggest difference each week.