- Jeff Barlis, College Football
- 0 Shares
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- It's a cloudy but bright and warm Friday here in North Central Florida, the kind of day we Floridians brag about to our friends up north (I'm lookin' at you, Bristol, Conn.). Let's kick off this edition of The AggreGator with a quick bite and then some Gator Links.
Here's one of the most amusing features of college football's bowl season -- the booty. Every year, the bowls shower the players with a gift bag full of swag. Because college kids already have iPods and headphones (duh!), much of this stuff ends up on CraigsList and eBay, but that's beside the point. Sports Business Journal does a great job of compiling the definitive list.
This year's Gator Bowl participants will walk away with a Fossil watch, Gator Gear performance headwear (think the Buckeyes want that?), a rolling luggage bag, a Jostens ring and a commemorative football. Compare that to what the Gators got in the 2008 BCS Championship Game: their choice of up to $300 worth of Sony electronics, customized luggage tags, a watch, a duffel bag and BCS Championship Game customized Crocs.
The lesson? It pays (literally) to win championships.
• Morning-after reaction from a Kansas City Star columnist on Kansas' new coaching hire isn't pretty. He says Charlie Weis has name recognition and little else: KU hiring Charlie Weis looks like a desperate move
• A former UF defensive coordinator denies he's talking to Texas A&M or Penn State about their head-coaching vacancies: Louisville football coach Charlie Strong emphatic: He's going nowhere
• Signing forward Shane Battier allows the Miami Heat to roll out a formidable second unit with former Gators Udonis Haslem and Mike Miller, who the writer speculates will be kept now and not amnestied: Picking up Shane Battier a bigger deal for the Heat than it might seem
• The Denver Post reveals Chicago's shocking plan to contain Tim Tebow on Sunday -- tackle him: Bears have secret, 'different' plan to stop Bronco's Tebow
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- It's a cloudy but bright and warm Friday here in North Central Florida, the kind of day we Floridians brag about to our friends up north (I'm lookin' at you, Bristol, Conn.