Gators still streaking past Kentucky
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- For a lot of us, it’s hard to remember what happened in 1986. Here’s some help:
Gas cost 89 cents a gallon.
The Soviet Union was still reeling from a nuclear reactor explosion in Chernobyl.
The U.S. was still reeling from the Challenger explosion.
"Top Gun" was the year’s top-grossing movie.
"The Cosby Show" was television’s top show.
And Kentucky beat Florida.
That last thing is pretty significant because the Gators haven’t lost to the Wildcats since. Florida has won 25 consecutive games over Kentucky, which is the longest current winning streak in the FBS by a team over a major opponent in an uninterrupted series. It’s also the fourth-longest streak in FBS history by a team over a major opponent in a current uninterrupted series.
Since then, though, it has been all Florida -- although there have been some close calls, like the 18-point fourth-quarter comeback that quarterback Chris Leak engineered in his first career start in 2003. If the Gators win this year’s meeting (Sept. 22 in Gainesville) the streak will be tied for the third longest in FBS history by a team over a major opponent in a current uninterrupted series.
Here are a few interesting tidbits about the streak:
- UF began the streak in 1987 with a 27-14 victory in Gainesville. The Gators scored on the opening kickoff on Stacey Simmons’ 94-yard return.
- The closest the Gators came to a loss in the streak came in 1993. Danny Wuerffel hit Chris Doering for a 28-yard touchdown with three seconds remaining. That was the second of five touchdown catches Doering had against Kentucky in his career.
- The easiest victory came in 1996. The Gators won 65-0. The Wildcats went 0-for-16 on third down.
- Only once in the 25 games has UF’s margin of victory been by a field goal or less (24-21 in 2003).
HOW THE STREAK STACKS UP IN THE FBS RECORD BOOKS
Most consecutive wins over a major opponent in an uninterrupted series (must have played in consecutive years) through 2011 season:
|25||Penn State||West Virginia||1959-83|
Most consecutive wins over a major opponent in a current series (must have played every year) through 2011 season:
SEC Recruiting Classes Evaluated
GATORNATION RECRUITING NEWS
FLORIDA FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Nike Youth Florida Gators #1 Blue Football Game Jersey
- Emmitt Smith retweeted
- Scott Carter retweeted
- Fightin' Gators retweeted
- GatorZone Football retweeted
- Emmitt Smith retweeted
2014 SEC STANDINGS
TBD San Josť St Auburn TBD Ole Miss Florida TBD Alabama Georgia TBD Eastern Kentucky Kentucky TBD Eastern Michigan LSU TBD Vanderbilt Middle Tennessee TBD South Carolina Missouri TBD Arkansas Tennessee TBD Mississippi State Texas A&M