Gators still streaking past Kentucky
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- For a lot of us, it’s hard to remember what happened in 1986. Here’s some help:
Gas cost 89 cents a gallon.
The Soviet Union was still reeling from a nuclear reactor explosion in Chernobyl.
The U.S. was still reeling from the Challenger explosion.
"Top Gun" was the year’s top-grossing movie.
"The Cosby Show" was television’s top show.
And Kentucky beat Florida.
That last thing is pretty significant because the Gators haven’t lost to the Wildcats since. Florida has won 25 consecutive games over Kentucky, which is the longest current winning streak in the FBS by a team over a major opponent in an uninterrupted series. It’s also the fourth-longest streak in FBS history by a team over a major opponent in a current uninterrupted series.
Since then, though, it has been all Florida -- although there have been some close calls, like the 18-point fourth-quarter comeback that quarterback Chris Leak engineered in his first career start in 2003. If the Gators win this year’s meeting (Sept. 22 in Gainesville) the streak will be tied for the third longest in FBS history by a team over a major opponent in a current uninterrupted series.
Here are a few interesting tidbits about the streak:
- UF began the streak in 1987 with a 27-14 victory in Gainesville. The Gators scored on the opening kickoff on Stacey Simmons’ 94-yard return.
- The closest the Gators came to a loss in the streak came in 1993. Danny Wuerffel hit Chris Doering for a 28-yard touchdown with three seconds remaining. That was the second of five touchdown catches Doering had against Kentucky in his career.
- The easiest victory came in 1996. The Gators won 65-0. The Wildcats went 0-for-16 on third down.
- Only once in the 25 games has UF’s margin of victory been by a field goal or less (24-21 in 2003).
HOW THE STREAK STACKS UP IN THE FBS RECORD BOOKS
Most consecutive wins over a major opponent in an uninterrupted series (must have played in consecutive years) through 2011 season:
|25||Penn State||West Virginia||1959-83|
Most consecutive wins over a major opponent in a current series (must have played every year) through 2011 season:
ESPN 300 Ranking Motivates Byron Cowart
GATORNATION RECRUITING NEWS
FLORIDA FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Nike Florida Gators Mini Rubber Football
2013 SEC STANDINGS
TBD Temple Vanderbilt TBD Texas A&M South Carolina 8:00 PM ET Boise State Ole Miss
TBD Arkansas Auburn TBD Idaho Florida TBD Clemson Georgia TBD Tennessee-Martin Kentucky TBD South Dakota State Missouri TBD Southern Miss Mississippi State 3:30 PM ET West Virginia Alabama 9:00 PM ET LSU Wisconsin