SEC's lunch links
April, 1, 2014
By Alex Scarborough | ESPN.com
College football's most high-profile head coach weighed in on the Northwestern players' bid to unionize yesterday. Nick Saban said after practice at Alabama that players should be compensated and deserve a voice in what happens. Are we seeing the beginning of a movement, the start of a never-ending legal process or both? Whatever it is, it's moving along as the next step is Washington, D.C.
- Alec Morris is right in the thick of the race to become Alabama's next starting quarterback. But apparently the big Texan has another role: punter.
- Arkansas is back at it after spring break. And while some coaches may not love the delay in the action, Bret Bielema said he's in favor of the stretched out camp.
- Reese Disumkes has already accomplished a lot in his career at Auburn. Glancing over the list of returning linemen in the SEC, he's arguably the league's best center. But this spring he's focused on improving two specific skills.
- Will Grier has wasted no time at Florida as it appears he's headed for the backup role behind Jeff Driskel. What's amazing is the former U.S. Army All-American and ESPN 300 recruit has only been on campus for a few months.
- There was a bit of false confidence among the Georgia defense last season. The result? Well you know how bad it was. Long on talent yet again, players are doing less talking this spring and more learning from new defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt.
- Experience. Experience. Experience. Kentucky's players on defense may not have much of it, but the coaches do. The Wildcats' new special teams coordinator is the third coach with defensive coordinator experience, including head coach Mark Stoops.
- LSU defensive back Kavahra Holmes won't be back on the football field in 2014. The track star is transferring after appearing in one game last season.
- Ole Miss early enrollee C.J. Hampton says, “I know I’m not ready to step in right now.” With some time, the four-star safety could be.
- Pharoh Cooper went to South Carolina to become a defensive back. But now he's playing four roles and none of them are on defense.
GATORNATION RECRUITING NEWS
FLORIDA FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Nike Men's Florida Gators Coaches Performance White Polo
- Jeff Barlis retweeted
- ESPN Florida retweeted
2014 SEC STANDINGS
6:00 PM ET Texas A&M South Carolina 8:00 PM ET Boise State Ole Miss 9:15 PM ET Temple Vanderbilt
12:00 PM ET Tennessee-Martin Kentucky 3:30 PM ET West Virginia Alabama 3:30 PM ET South Dakota State Missouri 4:00 PM ET Arkansas Auburn 5:30 PM ET Clemson Georgia 7:00 PM ET Idaho Florida 7:30 PM ET Southern Miss Mississippi State 9:00 PM ET Wisconsin LSU