SEC's lunch links
"Notwithstanding today's decision, the SEC does not believe that full time students participating in intercollegiate athletics are employees of the universities they attend," commissioner Mike Slive said in a written statement.
Former South Carolina defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles came out against the idea of college football players unions.
Elsewhere in the South, spring practice and NFL scouting continued as if the earth had not spun off its axis.
- Johnny Football's pro day workout, the "Manziel Misson", this morning at Texas A&M will draw the full media circus and then some. Former President George H.W. Bush is expected to attend. Here are five things Manziel needs to do if he wants to impress the 41st president and the legion of NFL decision-makers who will be watching.
- Former Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy's TV presence will make him one of the SEC Network's most eagerly anticipated faces and voices, but can he be objective about the Crimson Tide?
- Sammie Coates learned many lessons on his way to becoming Auburn's No. 1 wide receiver. Several other Tigers wideouts are also emerging this spring.
- Thanks to some terrific recruiting, LSU has high hopes for its defensive tackles even after losing two starters.
- Defense still rules the roost at Florida, while head coach Will Muschamp stopped just short of calling Jeff Driskel his starter at QB.
- Missouri's banner year on the gridiron helped the school's athletic department generate a surplus of $4 million during the last fiscal year.
- The Ole Miss Rebels' competition to see who will back up QB Bo Wallace is down to Ryan Buchanan and DeVante Kincade.
- After an up-and-down first season, CB Brendan Langley is back in the starting lineup for now. Here are some early observations of Georgia's defense.
- A little cold weather in Nashville, Tenn., didn't deter the Commodores from getting in some work outdoors.
- Mississippi State WR De’Runnya Wilson is looking to be Dak Prescott's No. 1 target.
- Kentucky redshirt freshman OL Jordan Watson has quit football.
- Tennessee still has a question mark at kicker.
Florida Gators, Vanderbilt Commodores, Georgia Bulldogs, South Carolina Gamecocks, Alabama Crimson Tide, Auburn Tigers, LSU Tigers, Tennessee Volunteers, Kentucky Wildcats, Mississippi State Bulldogs, SEC, Ole Miss Rebels, Missouri Tigers, Texas A&M Aggies, Jeff Driskel, Kelcy Quarles, Bo Wallace, Ryan Buchanan, Johnny Manziel, Dak Prescott, Sammie Coates, De'Runnya Wilson, DeVante Kincade, George H.W. Bush, Greg McElroy, Jordan Watson
College Football Minute
GATORNATION RECRUITING NEWS
FLORIDA FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Scott Carter retweeted
- Scott Carter retweeted
- Emmitt Smith retweeted
2014 SEC STANDINGS
12:00 PM ET UAB Arkansas 3:30 PM ET 1 Mississippi State Kentucky 4:00 PM ET Vanderbilt Missouri 7:15 PM ET 3 Ole Miss 24 LSU 7:30 PM ET South Carolina 5 Auburn 7:30 PM ET 4 Alabama Tennessee