SEC lunchtime links
March, 17, 2014
By Sam Khan Jr. | ESPN.com
Yes, it's that time of year where the talk is centered on the hardwood and brackets, but don't forget, spring football and pro days are in full swing, so there is still much to talk about on the gridiron. A sampling of news, notes and nuggets from around the SEC today:
- Lane Kiffin has been called a lot of things over recent years. Alabama receiver Amari Cooper calls his new offensive coordinator "player friendly."
- Georgia begins spring practice on Tuesday. With a new coordinator in charge (Jeremy Pruitt), defense will be the something fans will keep an eye on. While it's "wide open" according to Pruitt, here's a stab at the pre-spring defensive depth chart.
- Auburn's set at quarterback this fall with Nick Marshall returning, but what could be in store when sophomore backup Jeremy Johnson steps in? He says "more passing" could be the formula in 2015 and beyond.
- Spring football is underway for Arkansas. Here are five key questions for the Razorbacks, who are trying to improve on a rough 2013.
- Florida receiver Andre Debose, who was recently granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA, was involved -- but not arrested -- in a fight Saturday night that led to gunshots being fired according to the Gainesville Police Department. According to the brief, Debose was pushed into a window after an argument.
- LSU's top receivers from 2013 have departed for the NFL, so a pair of young receivers -- Travis Dural and John Diarse -- must step up as a result.
- Ole Miss receiver Donte Moncrief's strong NFL combine performance could give him a chance to sneak into the first round of the NFL draft, but other factors must be taken into account that could prevent that.
- Maty Mauk is Missouri's starting quarterback, but Gary Pinkel said "it's all about competition," and that the sophomore who was 3-1 as a starter last year is the starter "right now."
- Tennessee running backs coach Robert Gillespie breaks down the Volunteers' running backs.
Florida's McElwain calls in to SEC Now
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State