SEC lunchtime links
December, 18, 2013
By Alex Scarborough | ESPN.com
And we've got an early leader in the clubhouse for the best rant of the college basketball season. Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson found another gear during a post-game press conference, calling out his players, claiming there was a sniper in the gym and even mixing in a few hilarious notes about his marriage. It's a good one and it's only a few minutes, so give it a listen.
- Alabama starting right guard Anthony Steen is likely to miss the Sugar Bowl after having surgery on his shoulder. On Tuesday, Nick Saban gave an idea who might fill in for the veteran against Oklahoma.
- Auburn's a one-dimensional offense? Perish the thought, says Nick Marshall. The Tigers' quarterback is motivated by those who claim all Auburn can do is run. But, to be fair, even if it is one-dimensional, it's been better than a lot of 2-D or 3-D offenses this year.
- Without assistant coach Charlie Partridge, Alex Collins may have never left South Florida for Arkansas where he became a breakout hit as a freshman running back. Patridge has flown the coop to become the next head coach at FAU, but Arkansas coach Bret Bielema remains optimistic, saying it's, "an opportunity to get better."
- In one of the strangest stories you'll read this year, Georgia receiver Chris Conley is planning a "Star Wars" lightsaber duel film, with Todd Gurley set to star in a supporting role. It's incredibly nerdy and incredibly awesome.
- Florida will have some more competition at kicker next season as former Virginia Tech Hokie and Army All-American Brooks Abbott is transferring to Gainesville in June.
- The mass exodus of juniors leaving early for the NFL draft after last season killed LSU. But this year Les Miles says he doesn't expect the same fleeing of Baton Rouge.
- Josh Henson thinks Missouri's offense needs to get better. Yes, you read that right. The Tigers' offensive coordinator saw how good James Franklin and Co. were against Auburn and throughout the regular season, but still he sees room for improvement. In fact, he said, "If we would have converted half those third downs, heck, we might have scored 50 points and won the game."
GATORNATION RECRUITING NEWS
FLORIDA FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Nike Men's Florida Gators Grey Football Practice Legend T-shirt
- GatorZone Football retweeted
2014 SEC STANDINGS
TBD Bowling Green Tennessee TBD Wisconsin Alabama TBD UTEP Arkansas TBD Louisville Auburn TBD New Mexico State Florida TBD Louisiana-Monroe Georgia TBD Louisiana-Lafayette Kentucky TBD McNeese State LSU TBD Southeast Missouri State Missouri TBD Tennessee-Martin Ole Miss TBD Mississippi State Southern Miss TBD Arizona State Texas A&M TBD Western Kentucky Vanderbilt