Alabama Crimson Tide: Tyler Siskey
From defensive struggles to quarterback quandaries to head coach hot-stove talk to even nature walks, there's plenty going on in SEC football this week. Here's a sampling of discussion points from around the league:
- The speed Alabama uses on special teams has helped its kickoff and punt coverage units play better this season.
- Now that they have seen some SEC action, Auburn freshman receivers Marcus Davis and Tony Stevens could play bigger on-field roles moving forward.
- Georgia got a huge defensive stop late to help secure a win over LSU. But if the Bulldogs have national title hopes, their defense can't allow as many points as it did Saturday.
- Texas A&M's defense struggled against Arkansas, but it continued to play hard every snap. And for that, Jackie Sherrill says it deserves credit.
- LSU coach Les Miles said the Tigers have to fix problems in their secondary that contributed to big pass plays allowed in the loss to Georgia.
- South Carolina's ability to close games has to get better and one player -- Jadeveon Clowney -- was making that point clear on the sidelines against Central Florida.
- Florida offensive coordinator Brent Pease took his quarterbacks on a nature walk in order to clear their minds during downtime leading up to the Gators' game against Kentucky.
- Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze is moving on from the Tyler Siskey controversy and will not ask the SEC to investigate the issue.
- Arkansas coach Bret Bielema said he saw a "feisty, aggressive, angry, competitive" spirit in quarterback Brandon Allen, who returned from a shoulder injury on Saturday against Texas A&M.
- Former Tennessee coach Phil Fulmer, who attended a Volunteers practice last week, said "it's going to take time" and that Butch Jones "has got lots of challenges" ahead of him in getting Tennessee back where it wants to be.
- Missouri has revenge on its mind against Vanderbilt, a team to which the Tigers lost 19-15 at home last season.
- Kentucky coach Mark Stoops would love to have a definitive answer at quarterback but feels it's "reckless" to name a starter right now just for the sake of naming one.
- James Franklin's name is a hot one being thrown around for the USC job, but the Vanderbilt coach deflected questions on the topic on Monday, saying he's focused on Missouri.
2Q ALA B. Sims pass,to A. Cooper for 17 yds for a 1ST down
3:58 2nd Qtr South Dakota State 10 24 Missouri 21 8:10 2nd Qtr West Virginia 10 2 Alabama 10 14:30 2nd Qtr Arkansas 7 6 Auburn 14 5:30 PM ET 16 Clemson 12 Georgia 7:00 PM ET Idaho Florida
7:30 PM ET Southern Miss Mississippi State
- SEC NETWORK/WatchESPN
9:00 PM ET 14 Wisconsin 13 LSU Final Tennessee-Martin 14 Kentucky 59
Final 21 Texas A&M 52 9 South Carolina 28 Final Boise State 13 18 Ole Miss 35 Final Temple 37 Vanderbilt 7