Alabama Crimson Tide: Maurice Couch
September, 18, 2013
By Alex Scarborough | ESPN.com
It's Hump Day, and, no, I'm not going to shout it like an overly eager camel in a crowded office. Instead, I'll just note that we're halfway to another exciting week of college football and only a day away from No. 3 Clemson going up against North Carolina State.
- Cyrus Kouandjio says "people misunderstood" Alabama's offensive line after Game 1. But following an impressive showing this past weekend, it's safe to say no one is doubting them now.
- When Auburn and LSU meet this Saturday, it will be a battle of two of the best red-zone offenses in the SEC.
- Brandon Allen hasn't been ruled out yet, but Arkansas' players are rallying around backup quarterback AJ Derby as preparation for Rutgers begins.
- Johnny Manziel's improbable 12-yard heave for a first down against Alabama -- you know the play -- has given Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin a valuable teaching opportunity.
- With Mo Couch indefinitely ineligibile, a pair of Tennessee defensive tackles have a big chance ahead of them.
- Matt Jones looked good in his return to the football field against Miami, but Florida's starting tailback says he was still getting back into the groove. After a bye week to prepare, Jones is eager to get back to form this weekend.
- Mississippi State quarterback Dak Prescott was new to starting for the Bulldogs against Auburn, but he quickly found himself a favorite target in Joe Morrow.
- A buzzsaw awaits Ole Miss after a terrific start to the season.
- Kentucky quarterback Maxwell Smith's much talked about shoulder seems to be healing well and he should be good to go against Florida.
- The numbers are bad. Georgia's run defense is truly a work in progress.
- Les Miles says preparation is key for LSU's defense when it goes up against Auburn's uptempo attack this weekend.
A little lunchtime reading from around the SEC:
- Alabama offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier isn't saying much about the Crimson Tide's quarterback situation beyond A.J. McCarron.
- Georgia running back Todd Gurley says he's just concerned with getting better.
- Georgia defensive back Connor Norman will again rescue the Bulldogs' secondary.
- Auburn's C.J. Uzomah is playing four different positions so far in camp.
- Florida running back Mack Brown says he's ready to fill in as the Gators' top tailback with the indefinite absence of Matt Jones because of a viral illness.
- Almost all of the LSU players reported for camp on Sunday. There were two notable exceptions.
- Mississippi State lost its top four pass catchers from 2012. Jameon Lewis and Taveze Calhoun are leading the pack as replacements.
- Ole Miss has lost receiver Vince Sanders for six weeks because of a broken collarbone. He was the Rebels' second-leading receiver last season.
- Tennessee is getting three key players back from injury this season: linebacker Curt Maggitt, defensive tackle Maurice Couch, and safety Brian Randolph.
- Things were a little lighthearted at Vanderbilt. The upperclassmen and freshmen had a sing-off battle with the school's fight song.
- Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel needs football in the worst way right now.
Projecting Impact Teams in 2015 Recruiting
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35