SEC's lunchtime links
Let's take a look around the SEC as some schools have already opened spring practice and some are preparing for their first workout.
- Short on defensive linemen and flush with talented linebackers, South Carolina defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward says he will tinker with a 3-4 this spring.
- Gary Pinkel's new contract at Missouri pushes him over the $3 million salary threshold and runs through 2020.
- Georgia's Hutson Mason is focused on improving his mechanics and footwork as he approaches his lone season as the Bulldogs' starting quarterback.
- Arkansas' Bret Bielema told reporters on Thursday that he will not waver on his opinion that slowing down college offenses will improve player safety.
- Butch Jones says continuity is extremely valuable as his Tennessee program prepares to open spring practice.
- Ole Miss' Deterrian – formerly D.T. – Shackelford hopes to make the most of his his rare sixth season of NCAA eligibility.
- The Advocate's Scott Rabalais writes that LSU's new quarterbacks will bring a Johnny Manziel-like quality to the Tigers' offense that didn't exist when Zach Mettenberger was under center.
- Texas A&M's Manziel has agreed to an endorsement deal with Nike, by the way.
- Kentucky's new special teams coach Craig Naivar brings a Texas connection to the Wildcats' recruiting efforts.
- Eleven former SEC players were among those listed on the ballot for this year's College Football Hall of Fame class.
- In ranking the most talented rosters in college football for 2014, Athlon found that Alabama, Florida, LSU, Auburn and Georgia all rank in the top 10.
- AL.com's Brandon Marcello examines Heisman Trophy finalist Tre Mason's potential successors in Auburn's backfield.
- Surgeon Dr. James Andrews has examined former Alabama offensive tackle Cyrus Kouandjio's knee and says it is not in the bad shape several recent reports have claimed.
- Most SEC athletic directors prefer playing an eight-game conference schedule, but the league's presidents will have their say in the decision.
Alabama Crimson Tide, Florida Gators, Georgia Bulldogs, LSU Tigers, Auburn Tigers, Arkansas Razorbacks, Tennessee Volunteers, SEC, South Carolina Gamecocks, Ole Miss Rebels, Kentucky Wildcats, Missouri Tigers, Texas A&M Aggies, Zach Mettenberger, D.T. Shackelford, Cyrus Kouandjio, Gary Pinkel, Johnny Manziel, Bret Bielema, Hutson Mason, Lorenzo Ward, Dr. James Andrews
Saturday's top plays in the SEC
TIDENATION RECRUITING NEWS
ALABAMA FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Andrew Bone retweeted
- Alabama Athletics retweeted
2014 SEC STANDINGS
Final Eastern Kentucky 3 Florida 52 Final Charleston Southern 9 10 Georgia 55 Final South Alabama 12 South Carolina 37 Final 8 Ole Miss 0 Arkansas 30 Final Western Carolina 14 1 Alabama 48 Final Samford 7 14 Auburn 31 Final 20 Missouri 29 Tennessee 21 Final Vanderbilt 0 4 Mississippi State 51