SEC lunchtime links
August, 28, 2013
By Sam Khan Jr. | ESPN.com
We're just a day away until the first game of the college football season and a few days until the season begins en masse. Here's a look at some of the stories from around the SEC to keep you informed:
- Ole Miss will likely have several true freshmen taking the field, including consensus No. 1 recruit Robert Nkemdiche and receiver Laquon Treadwell, when the Rebels open the season against Vanderbilt on Thursday.
- Much has been made about LSU's offense and its ability to throw the ball under new offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, but when the Tigers face TCU and its 4-2-5 defense, the running game will be key to their success.
- Gus Malzahn is a believer in the up-tempo, no-huddle offense, but the Auburn coach admitted that he's willing to take his foot off the gas if it will help his defense on Saturday against Washington State.
- They sometimes "sound like a couple of school girls," according to Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema, but Razorbacks defensive coordinator Chris Ash and defensive line coach Charlie Partridge have known each other for roughly 20 years and they will be key parts to Arkansas' defensive success.
- South Carolina defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward doesn't see Jadeveon Clowney breaking any sack records because of the way spread offenses combat elite defensive ends with quick passes.
- Say hello to "crazy" and "jelly," a.k.a. Alabama safeties Vinnie Sunseri and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.
- Every writer on this seven-man panel picks Alabama to get back to the BCS championship game, four pick the Tide to win it.
- Mississippi State's first opponent, Oklahoma State, will play two quarterbacks when the teams meet in Houston.
- After an offseason that included arrests and dismissals, Vanderbilt can finally focus on football.
- Getting ready for Western Kentucky is a bit of a guessing game for Kentucky.
The Unknown Of Cardale Jones
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
Final Cincinnati 17 Virginia Tech 33 Final 15 Arizona State 36 Duke 31 Final Miami (FL) 21 South Carolina 24 Final/OT Boston College 30 Penn State 31 Final Nebraska 42 24 USC 45
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State