- Buster Olney, Senior Writer, ESPN Insider
The most frequently asked questions at last week’s winter meetings:
1. Do you know where I can get some coffee?
2. Who were the agents who fought in the parking lot?
3. Are any moves going to happen here?
4. Have you heard anything about Masahiro Tanaka and the posting system?
The answer to No. 5 was easy: No. Because circumstances are buzz-sawing the negotiating leverage from underneath those two veteran pitchers.
A) Santana and Jimenez are anchored to draft-pick compensation, while pitchers like Matt Garza and Tanaka are not. It has been established over the past two winters that many teams won’t even consider signing free agents attached to draft picks because they don’t want to lose the draft pick or the draft budget dollars tied to each pick.
6dJeff Banister, Special to ESPN.com
7dBrayan Pena, Special to ESPN.com
10dMatt Buschmann, Special to ESPN.com
11dA.J. Ellis, Special for ESPN.com
11dRob Manfred, Special to ESPN.com
12dSean Doolittle, Special to ESPN.com